RC51 Streetfighter Build - Page 3 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
Engine can go in the front seat of the truck for the trip. Ship everything else. re assemble.
Genius!

I'm starting to think it won't happen now. I tend to over think things though, so who knows. I'll find out in a week or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 AM
And Stateside again...

just so you know my 4runner has 235k on it's 3.0L auto. and starts right up when the battery isn't dead. Stupid parasitic draws. I hate chasing electrical issues.
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
just so you know my 4runner has 235k on it's 3.0L auto. and starts right up when the battery isn't dead. Stupid parasitic draws. I hate chasing electrical issues.
Yeah, I've lucked out with the truck so far, but it is definitely showing it's age. I bought it six years ago with 120k on it from the original owner who was a toyota master tech. Recently I did the timing belt and all idler pulleys, water pump, valve cover gaskets, alternator and valve adjustments. I still need to replace all the fluids in the differentials and transmission/transfer case. All the suspension bushings are really starting to show their age, and it has all kinds of ticks and rattles, but keeps on going no matter how hard I drive it, it has never left me stranded once in six years.

I just hope the headgasket doesn't go soon. I need to get something bigger anyways, and it isn't a question of money, I would just rather not have it be a surprise when I need to buy a new vehicle. If it happens at the right time, I might just swap a v8 into it and turn it into a toy....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Minor update. Finally got my stuff in for the oil lines. Might have to order some different fittings though, as I was trying to get the oil lines to go over the filter like Brett has with his, but he has a different header, so it didn't work as well as I thought. Got the custom length braided brake/clutch lines in. Some of my measurements were a little long, but that is better than too short. Spiegler will shorten them for $20 each, so that isn't a big deal. The underhung rear brake caliper is also on now, but I need a banjo bolt for the brembo caliper, anyone have one laying around?

Got the radiators fully mounted with the thermostat in place. Once my replacement top triple clamp gets here, the bars will finally be hard mounted. I also ordered some titanium bolts that I don't really need and magnetic drain plug. Damn probolt and all their shit I don't need.

I did get hosed on the CBR tail. After waiting for it to never show up, I had to file a dispute and got a refund. Just sucks that I was waiting a month for nothing. I'm starting to think I will just make my own tail with fiberglass. Since I am leaning towards a short exhaust down low the tail can house the electronics like before, and the new Shorai lithium battery (which is tiny compared to the old one).

On a positive note, I was cleared for my new job and I am just waiting for my start date now. It looks like they might pay for the bike to be shipped, I'll find out this week sometime.

post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 AM

I know this is an old thread but it is the reason I joined up here. I'm also building an rc51 streetfighter I'm just going about it a little different. I came across this thread researching rc51 streetfighters. I bought my sp1 as a salvage theft recovery so it was pretty beat up. It's an 01 that I payed $900.00 for who can pass that up?. I found the bike on CL the guy was asking $1500 but it hadn't ran for 3yrs so I talked him down to $900. Bike needed the ignition wires reconnected, a fuel pump and plugs (i changed all fluids just in case) and runs great. Problem is the fairings were destroyed when the theives tried to hide it in a stack of cinder blocks. So instead of doing a full restore I decided to go the street fighter way. I'm going to get a smaller battery and move everything forward so I can chop the tail right behind the seat. Kind of a bobber look. I'm gonna paint it flat black and red to give it an old school hotrod look. It'll look rough but run strong loud and fast. When I get time I'll put together a build thread.

How much was your radiator kit and where did you get it?
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar10w6 View Post
I know this is an old thread but it is the reason I joined up here. I'm also building an rc51 streetfighter I'm just going about it a little different. I came across this thread researching rc51 streetfighters. I bought my sp1 as a salvage theft recovery so it was pretty beat up. It's an 01 that I payed $900.00 for who can pass that up?. I found the bike on CL the guy was asking $1500 but it hadn't ran for 3yrs so I talked him down to $900. Bike needed the ignition wires reconnected, a fuel pump and plugs (i changed all fluids just in case) and runs great. Problem is the fairings were destroyed when the theives tried to hide it in a stack of cinder blocks. So instead of doing a full restore I decided to go the street fighter way. I'm going to get a smaller battery and move everything forward so I can chop the tail right behind the seat. Kind of a bobber look. I'm gonna paint it flat black and red to give it an old school hotrod look. It'll look rough but run strong loud and fast. When I get time I'll put together a build thread.

How much was your radiator kit and where did you get it?
Sorry for the late response, the project has been on hold for a while now with my cross country move and starting of a new job.

My radiator kit is from tygausa.com I don't know if they are making them still. They were undergoing some changes, but I think they will have them again. Another option is mike furtick. He is a member on here and makes some really nice ones, but they are much more expensive than the tyga ones. I'm sure they are still worth every penny though. There was a company selling some on ebay recently, but I don't know if they still do. If you have three grand to blow there is serra racing in italy: Serra Racing, Radiatori Ducati Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki Aprilia

post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
There was a company selling some on ebay recently, but I don't know if they still do. If you have three grand to blow there is serra racing in italy: Serra Racing, Radiatori Ducati Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki Aprilia
Crazy design, where is the oil cooler.

Fast bike slow rider
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Crazy design, where is the oil cooler.
It sits behind one of the lower sections of the "v", it follows the contour also. Looks very trick. I think it is on the left.

post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:25 PM

It looks like they connected the top rad and the left Rad (as you sit on the bike) with a section on the right. If you follow the water line from the pump, it goes to the bottom (instead of the top on most front systems except HRC).

Fast bike slow rider
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
It looks like they connected the top rad and the left Rad (as you sit on the bike) with a section on the right. If you follow the water line from the pump, it goes to the bottom (instead of the top on most front systems except HRC).
Yep, all one piece. bubbu on here had a set that he sold recently: My front Rad.Kit

post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 PM

WOW those are nice. I am not sure how I missed them before. How did you come up with the price?

Fast bike slow rider
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
WOW those are nice. I am not sure how I missed them before. How did you come up with the price?
Either he said that is what he paid, or someone had emailed them at one point. I'm sure the changes in the exchange rate means that the price will be different, but they were something like three grand.

post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Great looking Rad. Probably the best I have seen for an RC but three grand? WAY ABOVE what I will pay.

Fast bike slow rider
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Great looking Rad. Probably the best I have seen for an RC but three grand? WAY ABOVE what I will pay.
Heck I only paid $900. For my bike.
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Finally got some time to do some work on the bike....

Drilled some holes in a spare triple I picked up for dirt cheap (thanks dave). I used the normal mount kit for the scotts damper to index the new bar clamp, then marked and drilled the holes. The holes are a little oversized to adjust the bars until they are completely straight.

Mounted the BRP bar clamp with integrated scotts sub-mount, originally designed for a crf450 I think:

The bar clamp's mounting lugs for the damper sit too far down and wont clear the steering stem nut (it is a huge 41mm nut on the SP2). Found some brackets that are used to attach the midpipes to my sato rearsets. They work pretty well as a spacer and double as a mount for my gauges. As a bonus they were free since I already had them sitting in a box. I had to hack off the end of the one on the left side of the bike to clear the plug for the dash. I'll probably replace them someday with a different bracket when I get an analog tachometer.

All together now:

post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Most of the work yesterday and the day before consisted of installing the throttle bodies, airbox, wiring harness. I won't be doing an undertail exhaust (going with a set of titanium mids and titanium motogp style cans from ladybird) so the stock wiring and component locations will remain until I make a custom tail. The stock tail will be used until then. It is just a busted up spare that I had, I'll probably spray paint it black at some point.

Bled the front brake and clutch after mounting up the ZX-10 brake master and ZX-14 clutch master.

Some titanium bling. Perch mount bolts and all the banjo bolts:

More dash/bar/damper shots:

All together:

Last edited by b.miller123; 07-07-2012 at 05:01 AM.
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
And Stateside again...

Where is your front fender?

I have a red 1000rr on I would send you for 30 bucks plus shipping lol
post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Where is your front fender?

I have a red 1000rr on I would send you for 30 bucks plus shipping lol
Guess I put up the wrong pic, changed it for ya!

I think I might just save up for the magical racing fenders front and rear. I think they will go well with the headlight and everything.

Did you ever take pictures of your CBR tail? You mentioned that you had been down on it, how bad?

post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 AM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Did you ever take pictures of your CBR tail? You mentioned that you had been down on it, how bad?
I will get you one tonight lol
post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Pretty wild looking street fighter. You still gonna do the undertail exhaust?

2008 CBR 1000rr (Track)
2003 CBR 954rr (Street)
2000 RC51 SP1 (Track)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode