94 VFR cafe'ish thing. - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 AM

Great build man! I am in the middle of the same process with an SV.

Mike
'05 GSX-R 1000
'06 SV650S (Bobber project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
well shit son, take some pics and make a thread. show us what ya got.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

waiting on supplies so I'm trying to plan some things out. won't be many gauges on it. I'm going to use this cable drive speedo and some plumbing parts for a buck to make a cup. took a bit of time polishing out the lens to make it look fresh.

Name:  photo (27).jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  photo (22)small.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  103.5 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM

This thing looks nice and will be fun to ride.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Gold Sponsor

looks great so far, love the tail work.

Maybe next time try to use some kevlar and or carbon for strength as the glass will be very weak and brittle unless you use extra layers. If you are not done with it consider adding a layer of carbon on top then when you paint it install some decals then peal them up to reveal the carbon lettering before clear, just a suggestion jarred

like the wire type of zepplin framing, clever

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r

Last edited by mrgrn; 03-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

ok, I'll try to be civil again.

there are plenty of layers of glass on there. 6 in most places. it's all west system 105 epoxy resin. this thing is ultra strong and quite flexible. I made it so that it could be a structural piece and really doesn't need the subframe. but then I would have no place to mount the battery, electronics and rear reservoir.

as far as carbon goes there may be some in the future of this project, there may not be. I'm not revealing plans until there are pictures to show.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
ok, I'll try to be civil again.

there are plenty of layers of glass on there. 6 in most places. it's all west system 105 epoxy resin. this thing is ultra strong and quite flexible. I made it so that it could be a structural piece and really doesn't need the subframe. but then I would have no place to mount the battery, electronics and rear reservoir.

as far as carbon goes there may be some in the future of this project, there may not be. I'm not revealing plans until there are pictures to show.
my point was you could have used 2-3 layers of carbon and saved considerable weight and gained much strength, glass is for corvettes J/K

Stand by what i said, looks good and clever and keep the progress coming

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

this!

Name:  photo (44).JPG
Views: 2250
Size:  161.2 KB

is not going on this bike. I just spent a wad of cash buying, refreshing and re-springing it for my RC51. so that is why there has been no progress lately. but boy is it worth the stall in the build.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM

well done sir! nice and clean, best cafe VFR i've ever seen.

love the tail, looks like a 'radical ducati' piece but even better since you made it yourself!
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

hey thanks man. hope to have some updates shortly.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

working on some deals to get exhaust parts, in the mean time I spent some time doing little things. cleaning 18 years of grease,chain lube and road shit off of it. Since I'm trying to only use factory Honda bolts as much as possible I took the time to polish them up and make them nice and shiny. I also cut a blank for the undertail. I also buffed the tank. shined up pretty good for as old as it is.
Name:  photo (23).jpg
Views: 2120
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  photo (32).JPG
Views: 2078
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  photo (33).jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  125.6 KB

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 AM
And Stateside again...

Why are you so concerned about using stock Honda bolts? Just wondering since it is a custom bike I can't see the reason to stay true with bolt types.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

a couple of reasons Honda typically uses high quality stainless, and I'd like the fit and finish of the bike to appear like it rolled off of the showroom floor. A regular hex bolt and washer just doesn't look as good as the fairing bolt above and a bolt with the proper shoulder and rubber isolator will also help to keep things from cracking. do it nice or do it twice, you know.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM
And Stateside again...

I can understand that completely. Just figured I would ask.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

No worries, that's what this section is all about. Sharing, discussing and turning ideas into reality.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM

Sweet idea. I have a 1990 VFR I've had since it was 3 years old.
Maybe someday I'll do the same sort of thing with mine.... your's is food for thought.

If I were you I'd look at making a high level under seat exhaust.
You can sometimes also pick up stainless headers used which will look nicer.

I picked up a set of stainless ones last night on UK Ebay for 57.00 GBP as my originals are getting a bit scabby!

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

been keeping my eye out for a header, in good shape for a few years. Never seem to pop up round here though. there are a couple on the market that you can buy new, but the design is, quite frankly, retarded. I'd like to find the two brothers left exit, but as the old saying goes... Custom doesn't come out of a box. so more than likely I will just fab up something when I stop spending money on the RC51 lol.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to RC51Stunna
Amazing project! The tailsection work is superb!

You might do something like a tyga maggot can for your custom exhaust system.. ?

Stunna

post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
chimp on my shoulder

Thanks Stunna, you know I just cant get into the style of the maggots. They kinda remind me of the huge fart can ricer exhaust you see on every honda civic. It will be GP Inspired though. Unfortunately I have had neither the spare time or cash in the last couple of months to do any work on the damn thing. I do have some pretty cool sh!t planned for it as soon as I have some spare time.

94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 AM

Any updates? Can't wait to see this thing finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode