Speedzilla Forums banner

94 VFR cafe'ish thing.

68K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  johnyisthedevil 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had this VFR for quite a few years. love the bike, but after being hit by some fvcking stoner kid trying to toke and drive it was in need of some serious love. Plastics are ridiculously expensive and I've always had this yearning for cafe. and thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot and see if I can come up with something cool. I also had a 94 YZF750 track bike that I was having a hell of a time finding parts for. it sat in a state of near completion for about two years. but when it came down to it my heart just wasn't into it. I couldn't see myself getting out on the track and not riding my RC51. so it donated a lot of parts to my VFR and some to my little lady's GS500. Any way here is a starter shot. don't have much time right now to post the whole build up to this point, but here is a little teaser pic

not mine , but this is what I started with at well over 500 lbs
. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle fairing

and this gives an idea of where it is headed. last time I weighed, it was 385 lbs
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire

See less See more
#31 ·
working on some deals to get exhaust parts, in the mean time I spent some time doing little things. cleaning 18 years of grease,chain lube and road shit off of it. Since I'm trying to only use factory Honda bolts as much as possible I took the time to polish them up and make them nice and shiny. I also cut a blank for the undertail. I also buffed the tank. shined up pretty good for as old as it is.
Brass Metal Fashion accessory

Black Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Loudspeaker

Vehicle Red Motor vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle accessories

#33 ·
a couple of reasons Honda typically uses high quality stainless, and I'd like the fit and finish of the bike to appear like it rolled off of the showroom floor. A regular hex bolt and washer just doesn't look as good as the fairing bolt above and a bolt with the proper shoulder and rubber isolator will also help to keep things from cracking. do it nice or do it twice, you know.

#36 ·
Sweet idea. I have a 1990 VFR I've had since it was 3 years old.
Maybe someday I'll do the same sort of thing with mine.... your's is food for thought.

If I were you I'd look at making a high level under seat exhaust.
You can sometimes also pick up stainless headers used which will look nicer.

I picked up a set of stainless ones last night on UK Ebay for 57.00 GBP as my originals are getting a bit scabby!

#37 ·
been keeping my eye out for a header, in good shape for a few years. Never seem to pop up round here though. there are a couple on the market that you can buy new, but the design is, quite frankly, retarded. I'd like to find the two brothers left exit, but as the old saying goes... Custom doesn't come out of a box. so more than likely I will just fab up something when I stop spending money on the RC51 lol.

#39 ·
Thanks Stunna, you know I just cant get into the style of the maggots. They kinda remind me of the huge fart can ricer exhaust you see on every honda civic. It will be GP Inspired though. Unfortunately I have had neither the spare time or cash in the last couple of months to do any work on the damn thing. I do have some pretty cool sh!t planned for it as soon as I have some spare time.

#43 ·
This sorta reminds me of a hawkgt on roids. I have 3 vfrs right now, 1 94 i'm restoring, 1 93 parts bike, and another naked 94 that's been out back in the shed for a few years.

I like the single round up front, might do that with my naked one, but probably go with something a little smaller, maybe even a vrod rep light.

I couldnt tell from the pics, but how did you mount it? Doesnt look like the light you picked out has side mounts like most mc headlights. You make a bracket and mount it from the bottom to the existing front stay holes?

Good work my friend! Definitely some motivation to get my old bike out of the shed...

#44 ·
I went round and round in my head about doing a V-Rod light. and the idea still turns me on a bit. I just decided it wouldn't fit the feel I was going for. as far as mounting brackets go... it is just a standard off road style light with a single post on the bottom. all I did was make up a simple gusseted bracket that mounts onto the lower triple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.