Any rc8r riders on here ??? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Any rc8r riders on here ???

Been on here for years with my RC51 but have an RC8R too now and just wondering if there are any other KTM guys here. I'm in Hot Springs VA

2005 RC51 Sato pipes, rear sets & Exhaust hangers,Penske Rear shock, Turn One air box & Snorkle, MR hugger, dash & front fender, Hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, carbon V cowl, Galfer lines, Scotts Filter, Heli Bars, PWR com III, Custom HID projector lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:25 AM

I believe Wibbly had one for a while. I got to spend a couple weeks astride the first-gen RC8 (1148cc model, on street only) and quite enjoyed it, notably for its adjustable ergonomics, broad spread of power and solid feel......

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Mikstr

Yes it is the most comfortable fast bike I have ever been on. LOVE IT smooth and very powerful perfect for my area the mtns
RIDE SAFE

2005 RC51 Sato pipes, rear sets & Exhaust hangers,Penske Rear shock, Turn One air box & Snorkle, MR hugger, dash & front fender, Hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, carbon V cowl, Galfer lines, Scotts Filter, Heli Bars, PWR com III, Custom HID projector lights.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 AM

I had one for a few years. Mine was a 2010 model. I had to sell it in 2014. It had a voracious appetite for water pumps. I just couldn't handle having a bike that was constantly leaking, so I let it go

But to be honest. It had an absolutely wonderful chassis. And the 2010 engine while being very abrupt and hasty with its torque application was an absolute dream once you understood what it wanted.

Its a damn shame they pedestrianized the engine for 2011. The 10 motor was a firecracker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM

Rc8r

I wanted one but AFAIK nobody here has one.

RC8R Forum has a few ex member of this place on it.

RC8/RC8R - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 PM
G2G

Yep I am one.

I feel the need the need for speed!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM

here's mine just before it got stripped down, parted out and put back to stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Nice

WIBBLY I think we have chatted on the RC5q site a couple times? What did you have trouble with on your RC8R? I still have my RC51 but really loving the RC8R. Hope you are well!!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 PM

Yeah I'm sure we have. It chewed through water pumps. It killed 7 of them in 12000 kms. I just gave up on it

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Some members on the Superhawkforum have switched their bikes over to electric pumps (though the VTR is not reputedly hard on water pumps) due to reported higher efficiency and reduced friction (which allows the engine to spool up quicker and is said to improve fuel mileage slightly). It may be a potential solution..... granted, it's unfortunate to have to even contemplate this on a modern sportbike, especially given the bike's numerous strengths in other areas.....

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 AM

I suspect it was a bad casting in the case that caused a misalignment. KTM also have a retarded seal system. Instead of the mechanical seals riding on the pump shaft, they are on a wear bushing that is sealed with an oring. I have no idea why they would do that.

An electric water pump wouldn't work with the rc8. The suction to the pump comes from inside the cases, not a hose.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:02 PM

I'm wondering if it is the supplier. KTM had a bad run of water pumps and fuel pumps on the 950ADV and SE. Advrider might help out in the OC section.

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 AM

I bought one back in October. I got a really good deal on a used 2012 model. I haven't had much of a chance to ride it though because of the weather. It's not a Honda in that I think it will be more fiddly to maintain, but probably not near as bad as a Ducati. At least I have a local dealer and reasonable access to parts. No, I didn't get rid of any of my Hondas either. I'm getting the mods ready that I want to make to it this Spring. I have a Rottweiler Ram Air and SAS removal kit and I'm having ECUnleashed reflash the ecu.
Attached Images

'12 KTM RC8R

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol

'02 RC51

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM
G2G

Had nothing but problems with mine. Finally blew the engine and parted it out. Dropped a valve and the engine was toast.

I feel the need the need for speed!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 PM
And Stateside again...

^^ And this guy can keep Aprilia SXV's running.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 AM

I have a 2012 model and haven't had any major issues with it, but only have about 5000 pretty easy miles on it. Made the RC51 into a track bike years ago so that one takes the abuse but keeps ticking.
The only issue with the RC8R is a slight glitch at around 5000 rpm. I'm building the map in the pcv with dual auto tune and it seems to be helping a little. Power commander has a new product to analyze data called the POD-300. Has anyone on here used this yet?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Everyone talking like the bike sucks when they the vast majority don't have the talent to push the RC 8 R anywhere near its limits. I respect the decision and agree...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode