Fixin to buy my first motorcycle. - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Fixin to buy my first motorcycle.

I am getting ready to buy my first motorcycle, its an '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 I am wondering if it is worth it and what I should ask when I get there?

Here's a link 01 Ninja

The guy is saying that he was riding it two weeks ago then he thinks the starter went out so it won't start. I asked if it had a clear title and he told me that the guy he bought it from put the wrong mileage on the title, but said it could be cleared up with a bill of sale. He has to move and he can't take it with him that's why he is selling, and has to be out buy the first. I got him down to $700 and told him when I get paid this week I could cover $500 of of it but I don't know if i will be able to get the rest. I think he might take the $500 since he has to move and the deadline is getting close, but not know if it will run when i get there is it still worth it? Should I ask him if we could push start it, and will the title issue give me even more trouble than its worth? Any advise or other questions I should ask about the bike would very appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who reliped with good advise and I especially appreciated when no one said anything, it was a big help. Thanks for all the advise.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 AM

never saw your original post...but....the story has classic b.s circumstances.
1. it doesn't run...but it will run great.
2. it doesn't have a title
3. he's "moving" and must sell it.

Those 3 things don't raise enough flags for you?

06 999
03 999S
01 748S

All bikes are black.....any other colors are just mistakes by the paint shop.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Panigaliscious

Good luck getting a plate on it without a title.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 PM
And Stateside again...

Pass on it man.

If i were you i would save up the money and watch for a first gen SV650. They are great starter bikes and are very capable as a long distance touring rig. the standard ones are naked and sit up right and a few companies offer a windshield for them so you can get wind protection on the freeway. Personally i would go for an SV650S.
If you can spring for a 2003(Second Gen) Plus you get fuel injection which will help with long distance rides across mountain passes at Altitude where a carbed bike would suffer.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk81 View Post
Thanks to everyone who reliped with good advise and I especially appreciated when no one said anything, it was a big help. Thanks for all the advise.
You have to give more than 1 day around here for replies, many don't even notice these sections. Probably should use the general track talk section for quicker replies. I'm with others, I would pass also. I think you could find a running bike for not a whole lot more, with a clear title. This bike has too many strikes against it. Having said that, you are correct about push starting it...that should work, and will let you know if it runs or not. Good luck.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM

I wonder what ever happen to berserk?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 PM
He with the senior member

I think he's still trying to finish that 1000 mile ride....?

Old Baldy
Triumph Tiger 955i with decent suspension.
Ducati 996 with hot 999 motor
Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
white and nerdy

Quote:
Call your local DMV, and see if you can title it with only a bill of sale. Chances are, no. Or ignore the mileage discrepancy on the title.

Doesn't run is the bigger worry. If it's the starter, you can spray starter fluid in it and then push it to see if it fires. I've bought non-running bikes before, but you have to be willing to pop for a new engine if it's locked up or has other internal issues.

Sounds pretty flakey to me. I'd pass on it, altho $500 gives you a lot of wiggle room if the bike is in really good shape.

VTR1000, VFR800, Bandit 600, FZR600, DR350
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 AM
amaccs...100 years ago!

I think our chain is getting tugged folks. Too many glaring wrong moves. Nobody who is really buying can line them up this cleanly and not see their error. I'm just saying...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 AM

Maybe it's harvest season and he's gathering his ganja
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Although Berserk isn't replying anymore I think that bike is not something anybody should buy... Unless you like gambling...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 12:05 PM

Sorry... very old post... guess Berserk isn't here anymore
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I am getting ready to buy my first motorcycle, its an '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 I am wondering if it is worth it and what I should ask when I get there?

Here's a link 01 Ninja

The guy is saying that he was riding it two weeks ago then he thinks the starter went out so it won't start. I asked if it had a clear title and he told me that the guy he bought it from put the wrong mileage on the title, but said it could be cleared up with a bill of sale. He has to move and he can't take it with him that's why he is selling, and has to be out buy the first. I got him down to $700 and told him when I get paid this week I could cover $500 of of it but I don't know if i will be able to get the rest. I think he might take the $500 since he has to move and the deadline is getting close, but not know if it will run when i get there is it still worth it? Should I ask him if we could push start it, and will the title issue give me even more trouble than its worth? Any advise or other questions I should ask about the bike would very appreciated. Thank you.
Have you bought It? Can you publish it picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode