Can seat lock assembly be re-keyed? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Can seat lock assembly be re-keyed?

My 01' RC did not come with a seat lock assembly unfortunately. I'd like my PC to be "securely" locked in the tail. If I purchase a new one(if they can still be had) can a locksmith create a key for it? I've searched multiple forums and no answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 AM

Well the new bikes came with a little tag on the ring showing the number to use to make a replacement key, or to order a replacement key.
Without that, you'll probably need to order a replacement seat lock/key assy. (unless drive to the dealer and sweet talk the them into borrowing their master keys to test).

Item #16 below.
Fast shipping. Up to 40% off Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Polaris OEM motorcycle parts and accessories. Deep reseller discounts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM

Do you have the latch assembly? I bought one from Ben @RC51.com no lock assembly.

I took the existing cable for the key mechanism ran it out a small dilled hole and now have a cowl/seat mechanism that works with no key and damn near impossible to find without a flashlight even in the daylight.

Works for me one less key to have.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Member (Large)

If someone can just rip your PC out of your tail, you installed it incorrectly. The plugs are big enough that they will also need to raise the tank to get them out, and that means they also have to pull the tail and seat to undo the negative connection at the battery.

I just have a small pull cable on my latch. No need to worry about finding the key. It is easy enough to put it where the passenger pegs come out of the tail, but still inside. That way you can find it, but isn't seen easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM

If you buy the seat lock tumbler a lock smith should be able to make a key for it. The tumbler has a code on itself and the locksmith can use that for the new key.

I lost my key and couldn't get the numbers off the ignition lock or remove it so I used the seat lock to get a key and it worked for all the locks on the bike. Ignition, gas cap, and rear seat.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
If you buy the seat lock tumbler a lock smith should be able to make a key for it. The tumbler has a code on itself and the locksmith can use that for the new key.

I lost my key and couldn't get the numbers off the ignition lock or remove it so I used the seat lock to get a key and it worked for all the locks on the bike. Ignition, gas cap, and rear seat.
Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 AM

I have the same problem with my K5. The ignition was changed sometime.The locks are pretty easy to re-key but I have no idea who would have the parts.Probably easier to just buy a new lock set.And programed it with the help of Coral Spring Locksmith and now it works.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post

I am surely going to try this if such kind of problem occurs with me.Probably I choose Locksmith for such work because they have skills to make a duplicate key by knowing their number from sear or tumbler.So they are always the first preference..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 AM

For this you need to learn the whole procedure of re keying from their website.So prefer Locksmith or dealer for re key the seat lock.They have the tools and system to program it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode