Caliper adapters, where to find? - Page 4 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > Manufacturers > Honda RC51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt

I know the sp-1 and sp-2 bolts are different lengths.

I should REALLY wear a condum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Are you talking about the relief area that is cut out around the holes (circled in red), or the holes themselves? That cutout was based off the SP2 fork lowers, so the SP1 may be slightly different. In fact looking at the Argas ones above, I think the SP1 uses two fatter tabs instead of one long one like the SP2
Nope, I have the SP2 so they should fit then. I have not been able to try yet though.

It's the cutout around the lower of the two holes for mouting the caliper to the bracket that is causing problems.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Waiting for the .stl, get on it Brett

Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Nothing a little love from the Dremel won't fix.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Right,but to get the dxf file correct would make it a breeze for your machinest

Old 02-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51Stunna View Post

I don't recall what the caliper mounting bolt spacing was on this kit, but if you get yourself a set of new style ohlins R&T forks you can borrow my brackets and have them replicated for your 40mm race calipers.

Stunna
See stunner's post above. The calipers go behind the brackets. Those recesses face out just like the ones above. You should be good to go as long as everything else lines up.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
See stunner's post above. The calipers go behind the brackets. Those recesses face out just like the ones above. You should be good to go as long as everything else lines up.
Ooops, my bad! Embarrassing.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frezon View Post
Ooops, my bad! Embarrassing.
It's cool, I was scratching my head for a while on that one. Let me know how it works out and I'll try and come up with something for mounting the fender. It may be easiest to use something like a Sato bendy bracket.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM

OK, time for an update.

I went down to the garage today to try out the caliper mounts. I encountered a few minor problems. Of course the new bolts I got for the calipers didn't match the thread on the calipers. Anyway, first the adapters wouldn't mount tight enough to the fork and it seems they are a bit too slim for the original size bolts. Second; If the brackets have good tolerances the calipers don't. Lining the caliper up with the bottom hole in the adapter the top hole is slightly off.

My friend came by with another couple of bad boys! A whole lot of stopping power in this picture!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM

Come on, everybody sing along........"One of these sets ^^^.... ain't lke the other"....
"One of these sets......are probably fake"

Last edited by sbk_drew; 02-14-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Member (Large)

What are the dimensions for the mount holes on the calipers and the brackets. Stick a bolt in each mount hold on the calipers to measure center to center. You can do the same for the brackets.

How does the rest look? Does it look like the pads are in the correct position on the rotor?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk_drew View Post
Come on, everybody sing along........"One of these sets ^^^.... ain't lke the other"....
"One of these sets......are probably fake"

I'm sorry but my english isn't good enough to tell if you are joking or not. Would you say one of these sets are fake?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
What are the dimensions for the mount holes on the calipers and the brackets. Stick a bolt in each mount hold on the calipers to measure center to center. You can do the same for the brackets.

How does the rest look? Does it look like the pads are in the correct position on the rotor?
I'll look into it further this weekend. I didn't have the correct bolts for the calipers (M10x1,5), so I couldn't mount them correctly. I will take some measurements as soon as I get to the hardware store for some new bolts.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Nah, was just joking....hell i wouldn't know the difference anyways...

Quote:
I'm sorry but my english isn't good enough to tell if you are joking or not. Would you say one of these sets are fake?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Member (Large)

Alright, the mistake was mine. I didn't double check the 40mm dimension before I sent it out. It changed as I was changing some other stuff. Wingnutt, I need your email address, or I can post it up at the same place.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Alright, the mistake was mine. I didn't double check the 40mm dimension before I sent it out. It changed as I was changing some other stuff. Wingnutt, I need your email address, or I can post it up at the same place.
Let me rework the ones I have and try them out properly first so that we catch as many problems as possible.

Once again; Thank's for the great work!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Member (Large)

Yeah, just get a drill or a round file and make the hole a little longer towards the other mount hole for the caliper. Don't just make it bigger in diameter because that will give you slop, and rotate the caliper around the other mount hole, which will cause the location of the pads on the rotor to change.

Let me know how the rest of it works out.

Wingnutt: I'll email you once frezon ensures that everything else fits.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Finally I found some time to measure up the caliper mounts.

Over all it looks quite OK, but needs work in some areas. It is very hard to get some of these measurements correct and the rotors are fully floating which makes it even harder. I have numerous measurements taken to verify the numbers with both types of calipers (borrowed monoblocks and mine).

1. First of all the holes for the calipers. I drilled out the top caliper mouting hole towards the bottom hole and got them pretty tight and still linear.

2. Thickness of the whole mount where it meets the fork leg that needs to be about 1mm thicker to work with the original bolts.

3. The top of the pads are outside the disc by 1,5mm in the middle, but they moove around a bit at the edges so I might have to take some max/min measurements here.

4. Rotor is not centered in the caliper. It is off towards the outer side by 1mm

5. I'd prefer if the thickness of the bracket was adoped to take 25mm bolts for mouting the calipers. Still some thread left in the caliper as it is now.

The monoblock calipers are up for sale and I'm thinking of getting them. Not as nice condition as mine, but mine are almost new in perfect condition. So what do I do? Keep the ones I have and sell off the monoblocks on fleabay or should I keep the monoblocks?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to RC51Stunna

Looking great! The monoblocks are up for sale? For how much?

Too bad you picked up those new calipers cause I would have sold you my HRC calipers and bought the monoblocks off you for the difference. What bike did your friend have the monoblocks on before?

Stunna

QUOTE=Frezon;700286]Finally I found some time to measure up the caliper mounts.

Over all it looks quite OK, but needs work in some areas. It is very hard to get some of these measurements correct and the rotors are fully floating which makes it even harder. I have numerous measurements taken to verify the numbers with both types of calipers (borrowed monoblocks and mine).

1. First of all the holes for the calipers. I drilled out the top caliper mouting hole towards the bottom hole and got them pretty tight and still linear.

2. Thickness of the whole mount where it meets the fork leg that needs to be about 1mm thicker to work with the original bolts.

3. The top of the pads are outside the disc by 1,5mm in the middle, but they moove around a bit at the edges so I might have to take some max/min measurements here.

4. Rotor is not centered in the caliper. It is off towards the outer side by 1mm

5. I'd prefer if the thickness of the bracket was adoped to take 25mm bolts for mouting the calipers. Still some thread left in the caliper as it is now.

The monoblock calipers are up for sale and I'm thinking of getting them. Not as nice condition as mine, but mine are almost new in perfect condition. So what do I do? Keep the ones I have and sell off the monoblocks on fleabay or should I keep the monoblocks?

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Finally I found some time to measure up the caliper mounts.

2: is an easy fix

3: Does it look like the pads are off the edge of the rotor evenly? As in the caliper isn't tilted back or forward at the top or bottom. Just displaced radially away from the axle?

4: Just to be clear, the rotor is too far towards the outside of the caliper? That is an easy fix that can also be done by adding material to the inside of the bracket where it meets the fork leg. This will also solve problem number 2 at the same time.

5: So where the caliper mount holes are on the bracket needs to be thicker or thinner?

I am all kinds of busy currently, but I can get to fixing this stuff some time soon.