Front Mount Radiators for Everybody! - Page 3 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Easily Illusioned

+1 Looks great. I been checking out this rad kit for two days now and finally caved. Sooo... I just placed my order for the SP1 rad kit for my 2004. I'm thinking I'd like to the have some versatility in turning on the fans since this is for a road bike. BTW while shopping the TygaUSA website I had to get the carbon fiber front fender too. I told my wife how much money I saved because everything was ON SALE. What could she say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_JD View Post
+1 Looks great. I been checking out this rad kit for two days now and finally caved. Sooo... I just placed my order for the SP1 rad kit for my 2004. I'm thinking I'd like to the have some versatility in turning on the fans since this is for a road bike. BTW while shopping the TygaUSA website I had to get the carbon fiber front fender too. I told my wife how much money I saved because everything was ON SALE. What could she say.
Hey Iceman JD,
LMAO LAST SENENCE... "What could she say." 1st Thought that came to mind was.... GET OUT the F... of my House and Bring Your "Front Mounts & Carbon Fiber fender with You!! HAHAHAA

Joking aside bro. You don't need SP1 rads. to take control of your FAN... I've got SP2 and can turn mine on whenever I want!

And YES Neil.... "A Picture" is worth a 1,000 Words as they say.. it's just so basic is all (^_-)wink

Peace Jeff
post #43 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_JD View Post
Oh dude, that could come back to haunt you the next time she goes clothes and shoe shopping, "but honey, they were ON SALE!".
Life is a circle...

post #44 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBs_SP3 View Post
Neil,

sure thing. I'm away 'til the end of the month but when I get home I'll post some some pictures of the stone guard I made, it's pretty basic. I can also post some pictures of the SPAL fans mounted.

I ran an SP1 prototype on my SP2 for a while with a bung in the threaded hole. If you're tracking your SP1 and don't need a fan you can just use the SP2 rads.
Any chance you could share some Samco hose sizes and/or part numbers with us?
post #45 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
What AFR are you at on your current map IKA?
After I installed my T1 airbox and snorkel, I have yet to adjust my map. I downloaded one that supposedly is for a T1, but who knows. I also re-routed my crank case breather to dump out into the air, and not my airbox, which adds to my lean problem.

I have no idea what my current AFR is...but it's lean for sure...

I'm also running my thermostat, which most people don't when doing the front radiator mod. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who's kept their thermo. I'm thinking that removing it would lower temps even more.

Bottom line is that this kit is worth every penny. It cools way better than the stock setup, no matter what my actual temps were. With the same kit, your bikes will probably run cooler than my bike.

2005 VTR SP2 - Not stock.
1989 RC31 - Not very stock, either.
post #46 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to JBs_SP3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk_drew View Post
Any chance you could share some Samco hose sizes and/or part numbers with us?
Sure. The kit uses 3 x 25 mm (1") i.d. x 90* standard elbows and 2 x 25 mm (1") i.d. x 45* standard elbows. According to the parts catalogue I downloaded from Samco their part numbers for these are:

E90-25
E45-25

You'll also need a couple of straight sections of 25 mm i.d. hose approx 65 mm (2.5") long but I just used off-cuts from the ends of the 90* elbows for these. The OEM 25 mm send hose from the thermostat housing can be used for one of the 90* elbows.

If someone knows the Gates part numbers for standard rubber 1" i.d. 90* and 45* elbows could they please share that info?
post #47 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Hello,

Your rads look awesome.
Just a little question: Do you have any idea about the set's weight ?
And the weight of stock rads and hoses.

Thanks

Adrien
post #48 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Hey Ika-kun,

IF I may ask, Do you have the "BIG Breather" mod. done? Also, WHY would you take your "Crank Case Breather" OUT,... From venting into the "Air Box" (Especially when it sounds like YOU Already had it all hooked up to Vent into said AirBox?)... to just DUMP out into the air?!? This makes no sence to me brother...

And FYI and FWIW: The BEST thing you can do weather you're running Front Mount Rads. or Not>> is to KEEP the Thermostat IN as OEM.... Again FYI: YOU do NOT want your Engine running too cool! IF your engine is running ALOT of the time much under 180degs., You are doing more harm to the engine (WEAR) then you could ever have imagined! Plus IF you're running much under 160s, not only is the Engine WEAR magnified even worse then the 180s but (as happened to me for a very short time, before I figured out what was wrong!) Now you're in the ECU area of making your Engine run like CRAP with WAY Too much Fuel from the auto enrichener (choke) settings!

I Hope this Helps all of you out!....? Your engine running too cool is NOT good!

Peace Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ika-kun View Post
After I installed my T1 airbox and snorkel, I have yet to adjust my map. I downloaded one that supposedly is for a T1, but who knows. I also re-routed my crank case breather to dump out into the air, and not my airbox, which adds to my lean problem.

I have no idea what my current AFR is...but it's lean for sure...

I'm also running my thermostat, which most people don't when doing the front radiator mod. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who's kept their thermo. I'm thinking that removing it would lower temps even more.

Bottom line is that this kit is worth every penny. It cools way better than the stock setup, no matter what my actual temps were. With the same kit, your bikes will probably run cooler than my bike.
post #49 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK View Post
Hey Ika-kun,

IF I may ask, Do you have the "BIG Breather" mod. done? Also, WHY would you take your "Crank Case Breather" OUT,... From venting into the "Air Box" (Especially when it sounds like YOU Already had it all hooked up to Vent into said AirBox?)... to just DUMP out into the air?!? This makes no sence to me brother...
Replied in another post to prevent further thread jack. Thanks!

post #50 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK View Post
Hey Ika-kun,

And FYI and FWIW: The BEST thing you can do weather you're running Front Mount Rads. or Not>> is to KEEP the Thermostat IN as OEM.... Again FYI: YOU do NOT want your Engine running too cool! IF your engine is running ALOT of the time much under 180degs., You are doing more harm to the engine (WEAR) then you could ever have imagined! Plus IF you're running much under 160s, not only is the Engine WEAR magnified even worse then the 180s but (as happened to me for a very short time, before I figured out what was wrong!) Now you're in the ECU area of making your Engine run like CRAP with WAY Too much Fuel from the auto enrichener (choke) settings!

I Hope this Helps all of you out!....? Your engine running too cool is NOT good!

Peace Jeff
I agree jeff. keeping in the therm is best and the bike should be run about 180+. I am curious as to the actual cooling of front mount rads with NO fans. If i ever felt the need for them i would certainly want to remove the fans for weight loss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #51 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
I agree jeff. keeping in the therm is best and the bike should be run about 180+. I am curious as to the actual cooling of front mount rads with NO fans. If i ever felt the need for them i would certainly want to remove the fans for weight loss
From what I have read they will cool better than stock when moving. the fan would only be there for when stopped or stuck in traffic.
post #52 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
From what I have read they will cool better than stock when moving. the fan would only be there for when stopped or stuck in traffic.

right, but would they cool enough when stopped with no fans?

I like this mod(have for 11 years) but have not heard many who took of their fans for the street and to use front mounts with fans IMHO is no advantage

My bike has a manual fan switch and i run a good map so i have no real issues but the bike does run a bitter better in cooler temps. I am thinking about doing a motor at some point and i know it will run hotter so maybe i will need these but it would be nice to not have to use fans

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #53 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Way too many variables for anyone to answer this question, but with my limited experience on the street with no fans, temps drop quite quickly between lights. At this time, I don't NEED fans, but I can see where I might as the summer heats up if I continue to ride the streets. There's no point in mentioning numbers, as again, there are way too many variables.

Quote:
I like this mod(have for 11 years) but have not heard many who took of their fans for the street and to use front mounts with fans IMHO is no advantage
I have yet to use fans on my front mounts for the street. No need for fans on the track unless you're idling a lot. The advantages are many, while the only disadvantage is paying for something you may not really need, especially if your stock systems cools effectively for your riding purposes. MY stock system didn't cut it for the track, for a few reasons.

Besides, all modern sportbikes I'm aware of that use a factory front-mounted radiator uses fan(s), so I don't understand your argument. I'm known to be a moron, however.

post #54 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Easily Illusioned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ika-kun View Post
Way too many variables for anyone to answer this question, but with my limited experience on the street with no fans, temps drop quite quickly between lights. At this time, I don't NEED fans, but I can see where I might as the summer heats up if I continue to ride the streets. There's no point in mentioning numbers, as again, there are way too many variables.

I have yet to use fans on my front mounts for the street. No need for fans on the track unless you're idling a lot. The advantages are many, while the only disadvantage is paying for something you may not really need, especially if your stock systems cools effectively for your riding purposes. MY stock system didn't cut it for the track, for a few reasons.

Besides, all modern sportbikes I'm aware of that use a factory front-mounted radiator uses fan(s), so I don't understand your argument. I'm known to be a moron, however.
I just like to add one more thought on the subject. I'm no expert but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But seriously I worked in the air conditioning field before I retired. And most definitely the heat transferring efficiency of the radiator would suck big time. Think of it like your old intel processor and the fan quit, same thing. It might last for a while under light load but...

Plus the price of a couple of fans is good insurance for the peace of mind you'll get while you're stuck in traffic on a 90+ degree day.

Last edited by Iceman_JD; 07-19-2011 at 01:29 AM.
post #55 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCVTR View Post
That's great, Glenn! I'm going to need some!

Stainless steel screen wired to the front works well to prevent damage from rocks and tire chunks.
Rand, it would be good to see you again, let me know when you are ready for a set!!

We are going to look into making a screen for the lower radiator, maybe the oil cooler as well, should be easy enough and not add very much to the cost!!

THERMAE
Quote:

i am a assshole and really it all boils down to that.

post #56 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback and comments you guys!!

We really appreciate the support, and the response has been fantastic, we are nearly out of the first run of these...they will stay on sale until we run out of stock on the first batch, but more are in production now!

Someone asked about the weight...I have not weighed them against stock ones but the radiators themselves I think are a bit lighter, the oil cooler maybe the same or a bit heavier, but the Thermae rads will hold more fluid than the stock Honda ones so that will be more weight there...probably a wash!

On cooling, Jimmy has been seeing much lower temps running around Bangkok in traffic (very high ambient temps) that before with his Thorsten scoops.

Like Ika Kun said, every modern bike comes with a fan, it just makes sense to run one if you will be spending anytime in traffic or locales with very high temps.

Finally, the first few sets should be arriving at peoples doorsteps shortly, I am sure we will get good input and feedback from these brave souls! We hope to continue to improve on them and provide a quality product, we also hope to improve a lil' on the aesthetics, while they look good they are hand made and we think we can do even better as we go forward!

As mentioned before we will start work on a screen or grill to help protect from road debris!

Thanks!

THERMAE
Quote:

i am a assshole and really it all boils down to that.

post #57 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothmans View Post
As mentioned before we will start work on a screen or grill to help protect from road debris!

Thanks!
Great to hear, Glenn! Not that it's a huge deal or anything, it'd just be nice. The radiator is actually pretty robust so far, and despite the debris, the fins are holding up pretty well.

post #58 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:40 AM
jp4

For what it's worth - I've ran the front mount radiators for several years w/o fans. Palm Springs area with temps 120 deg +.. The bike runs at a constant 175-180. No problems - just can't sit at stop lights forever. Temps will drop immediately once you start moving. Hope that helps...
post #59 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Sub-average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4 View Post
For what it's worth - I've ran the front mount radiators for several years w/o fans. Palm Springs area with temps 120 deg +.. The bike runs at a constant 175-180. No problems - just can't sit at stop lights forever. Temps will drop immediately once you start moving. Hope that helps...
I concur, and weather in OC/LA never gets that high!

post #60 of 234 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Nice looking rad's. Think I need a set for my next bike

WW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode