Fork oil seal question - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > Manufacturers > Honda RC51

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default Fork oil seal question

Callin all RC experts,

I have oil leakin from my right hand fork, mechanic says busted oil seal (but obviously) ..

My question is will a CBR 1000 RR oil seal be compatible to the Sp2?? What else do i need to change alongwith the Oil seal?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Newera's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 225
Default

I recently replaced a fork seal - using all balls seal from Ebay (Which turned out to be rubbish!). It didn't seal well, so I did the job again using OEM Honda seals, which worked perfectly.

If you have some decent tools, front stem stand, etc. and are skilled enough, it's possible to do the job yourself within a couple of hours. If not, just take the fork leg to a decent bike shop.

I used some plastic drainage pipe to make a seal driver to help fit the new seal. Assuming no other damage you should just need a new fork seal and dust seal. Some people might do both sides at the same time.
As my forks were revalved only last year and the oil's relatively new, I only repaired the single fork leg and left the other alone for now...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
DesperateSP2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Alps... the original ones!
Posts: 2,449
Default

1000RR fork seals won't fit.
The bike uses the same fork seals as the CBR600F4, CBR929RR and 954RR, Hornet 900 and VFR800 VTEC.
__________________
Shame on me, my heart is black.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
3stripes's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: san jose, san jose
Posts: 1,513
Default

To the OP question?

Good time to replace the bushing also or at the least have it on hand so that if it's bad, you have parts right away. If it's still good? Next time then. Of course replace the dust seal also. Time to also get the right spring for your weight would be great as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
1000RR fork seals won't fit.
The bike uses the same fork seals as the CBR600F4, CBR929RR and 954RR, Hornet 900 and VFR800 VTEC.
Holly cow..how did you find this out? Other than checking Honda parts numbers? This is cool info
__________________
Don't worry your dogs/cats too are safe ...FOR NOW
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
b.miller123's Avatar
Member (Large)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kingston, WA
Posts: 2,531
Default

Are you sure that the seal is bad and you don't just have a piece of dirt stuck between the seal and the slider? How bad is the lead? Is it just fluid on the lower part of the fork or a puddle on the ground?

I had the same issue, and after a couple tries with a piece of film (you remember, that stuff we used to use to take pictures?) I was able to dislodge the dirt and have been riding happy with no leaks ever since!

You jsut have to take a piece long enough to get a good grip on and slide it past the outer dust seal and between the actual seal and the slider and make a couple swipes. If you don't slide the outer dust seal down, you will still have some fluid between the two seals that will make it seem like you still have a leak. I found this out the hard way and after ordering seals and all the tools to do it myself, the leak stopped. My leak was small enough that I wasn't worried about the fluid level in the fork. With a larger leak, this may be an issue.

Motion pro also sells a little card that does the same thing:
Motion Pro - Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner (Each)


Keep in mind that if you do change the seals yourself, the manual only has instructions for the SP1 forks. The SP2 forks are different and not covered at all in the RC51 manual (thanks Honda!). If you do a search on here you will find some information, but mostly people saying send them to dan kyle racing. That isn't a bad idea if you are going to have a shop do it because for a little more money you can get some nice upgrades while they have them apart, and apperently dan kyle is the man when it comes to the RC.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 AM
DesperateSP2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Alps... the original ones!
Posts: 2,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stripes View Post
Holly cow..how did you find this out? Other than checking Honda parts numbers? This is cool info
Just look up a Showa spare catalog...
__________________
Shame on me, my heart is black.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
1000RR fork seals won't fit.
The bike uses the same fork seals as the CBR600F4, CBR929RR and 954RR, Hornet 900 and VFR800 VTEC.
Thanks Bro, Exactly the kinda info i was lookin for, easier to get the CBR929RR & CBR954RR parts around here compared to the RC.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stripes View Post
To the OP question?

Good time to replace the bushing also or at the least have it on hand so that if it's bad, you have parts right away. If it's still good? Next time then. Of course replace the dust seal also. Time to also get the right spring for your weight would be great as well.




Holly cow..how did you find this out? Other than checking Honda parts numbers? This is cool info
Yep, i intend to replace the Bushing & dust seal too. Thanks for sharin
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Are you sure that the seal is bad and you don't just have a piece of dirt stuck between the seal and the slider? How bad is the lead? Is it just fluid on the lower part of the fork or a puddle on the ground?

I had the same issue, and after a couple tries with a piece of film (you remember, that stuff we used to use to take pictures?) I was able to dislodge the dirt and have been riding happy with no leaks ever since!

You jsut have to take a piece long enough to get a good grip on and slide it past the outer dust seal and between the actual seal and the slider and make a couple swipes. If you don't slide the outer dust seal down, you will still have some fluid between the two seals that will make it seem like you still have a leak. I found this out the hard way and after ordering seals and all the tools to do it myself, the leak stopped. My leak was small enough that I wasn't worried about the fluid level in the fork. With a larger leak, this may be an issue.

Motion pro also sells a little card that does the same thing:
Motion Pro - Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner (Each)


Keep in mind that if you do change the seals yourself, the manual only has instructions for the SP1 forks. The SP2 forks are different and not covered at all in the RC51 manual (thanks Honda!). If you do a search on here you will find some information, but mostly people saying send them to dan kyle racing. That isn't a bad idea if you are going to have a shop do it because for a little more money you can get some nice upgrades while they have them apart, and apperently dan kyle is the man when it comes to the RC.
Hey there miller,

Yes im pretty much sure its a busted seal. I tried the "negative Film" trick, it keeps on bleeding oil after every ride & yeah its a puddle .

I wont be changin the seals myself, it will be done by a professional so im not worried about the mechanical aspect of servicing the Forks.

But thank you for your i shall keep your advise in mind
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newera View Post
I recently replaced a fork seal - using all balls seal from Ebay (Which turned out to be rubbish!). It didn't seal well, so I did the job again using OEM Honda seals, which worked perfectly.

If you have some decent tools, front stem stand, etc. and are skilled enough, it's possible to do the job yourself within a couple of hours. If not, just take the fork leg to a decent bike shop.

I used some plastic drainage pipe to make a seal driver to help fit the new seal. Assuming no other damage you should just need a new fork seal and dust seal. Some people might do both sides at the same time.
As my forks were revalved only last year and the oil's relatively new, I only repaired the single fork leg and left the other alone for now...
The Fork leg will indeed be repaired at a professional bike shop, I intend to use the CBR954RR OR CBR 929RR parts

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
1000RR fork seals won't fit.
The bike uses the same fork seals as the CBR600F4, CBR929RR and 954RR, Hornet 900 and VFR800 VTEC.
Would the Bushing & Dust seals also be compatible?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM
DesperateSP2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Alps... the original ones!
Posts: 2,449
Default

Dust seal is the same for all these bikes (and if you ask Honda they only sell oil and dust seal as a set now).
Bushing... you mean the guide or the slider?
__________________
Shame on me, my heart is black.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
Dust seal is the same for all these bikes (and if you ask Honda they only sell oil and dust seal as a set now).
Bushing... you mean the guide or the slider?
You mean Oil & Dust seal come in the same package as a set or did you mean they come in pairs?

Yes, by bushings i meant the Guide & Slider. Should i change them too?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 AM
DesperateSP2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Alps... the original ones!
Posts: 2,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbomberc51 View Post
You mean Oil & Dust seal come in the same package as a set or did you mean they come in pairs?

Yes, by bushings i meant the Guide & Slider. Should i change them too?
Honda genuine spare 51490-MCF-000 contains ONE dust seal and ONE oil seal. Sorry for not being clearer.
Guide and sliders should be checked and replaced if worn and/or damaged. No need to change them if they are still good just because the oil seal is leaking... or at least that's what I did.
Slider is the same as the 1000RR (2006-on), 929 and 954. Guide is the same as 929, 954 and VFR800 VTEC.
__________________
Shame on me, my heart is black.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
stealthbomberc51's Avatar
From Death 2 Deathlesness
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Send a message via MSN to stealthbomberc51 Send a message via Yahoo to stealthbomberc51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
Honda genuine spare 51490-MCF-000 contains ONE dust seal and ONE oil seal. Sorry for not being clearer.
Guide and sliders should be checked and replaced if worn and/or damaged. No need to change them if they are still good just because the oil seal is leaking... or at least that's what I did.
Slider is the same as the 1000RR (2006-on), 929 and 954. Guide is the same as 929, 954 and VFR800 VTEC.

Crystal Clear now , Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 PM
b.miller123's Avatar
Member (Large)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kingston, WA
Posts: 2,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbomberc51 View Post
Hey there miller,

Yes im pretty much sure its a busted seal. I tried the "negative Film" trick, it keeps on bleeding oil after every ride & yeah its a puddle .

I wont be changin the seals myself, it will be done by a professional so im not worried about the mechanical aspect of servicing the Forks.

But thank you for your i shall keep your advise in mind
Shitty, well if you have the spare cash to do it, now is the time to get some upgrades done! When I was looking into the cost at local shops, it was something crazy like $300+parts. For a little more you could get them set up for your weight, or if you can find them, install some cartridges.

In regards to the bushings, I would just replace them while you have the forks apart. The last thing you want is to have to do them again soon, especially if you are paying for the work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2011, Speedzilla.com, Inc