Lost Key...Ignition Question - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Lost Key...Ignition Question

Yes I lost my damn key, with the stearing locked so I cant really move the thing. But anyways does anyone know what the two bolts that hold the ignition in are? I have tried allen wrench, torx bit wrenchs and the torx bit with the hole in the center and none of them seem to fit. One size is to small then the next size up wont fit, its to big. I cant get the top triple off with the stearing locked...honda shop said there was number on the ignition but i dont see any. As for the bolts I cant see what they are and Im hoping that they arent stripped out. I bought the bike wrecked and dont know past history. I called a locksmith he said he could make a key that would work for all three locks on the bike but charges 200 bucks. Another locksmith said each lock on the bike uses a different part of the key so he would need to make 3 keys but still doesn't know if he could do it....Any bright ideas? im out of them!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm not going to be much help as I can't remember the torx size but the manual might have it. You will need the correct size as honda also puts hd locktite on the bolts. I've done three times but always with the top bridge in a vice and it was still a bitch to break them.

I'd think I'd suck it up, pay the $200, and make sure I get 3 keys. One of which, I'd hide somewhere on the bike. I won't tell you where mine is but it does require tools to get too.

Doug

05 RC51 da' Black Beast
96 RCBVFR 750 Custom
02 VFR sold
98 VTR SuperBling sold
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Munky

You can drill them out. Then replace them with regular hex bolts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
You can drill them out. Then replace them with regular hex bolts.

While it's on the bike? Man, that's not going to be easy.

Doug

05 RC51 da' Black Beast
96 RCBVFR 750 Custom
02 VFR sold
98 VTR SuperBling sold
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

The ignition screws are some sort of anti-theft screw, they have a pattern on the head that lets you tighten them but not loosen and they're hardened.. probably not stripped, just not meant to be taken out! The only way I got the key cylinder out was with the upper triple off the bike, I used a dremel tool to cut a slot in the screws and put a big ass screwdriver in a vise and turned them out.

--Greg
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM

I would think you could take the top tripple off anf have better access to everything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Yes I lost my damn key, with the stearing locked so I cant really move the thing. But anyways does anyone know what the two bolts that hold the ignition in are? I have tried allen wrench, torx bit wrenchs and the torx bit with the hole in the center and none of them seem to fit. One size is to small then the next size up wont fit, its to big. I cant get the top triple off with the stearing locked...honda shop said there was number on the ignition but i dont see any. As for the bolts I cant see what they are and Im hoping that they arent stripped out. I bought the bike wrecked and dont know past history. I called a locksmith he said he could make a key that would work for all three locks on the bike but charges 200 bucks. Another locksmith said each lock on the bike uses a different part of the key so he would need to make 3 keys but still doesn't know if he could do it....Any bright ideas? im out of them!!!
The lock for the seat/cowl cover is the same, it has the code on it. When I bought my mine I only got one key and promptly lost it. I loosened all the fasteners for the back section and was able to pop open the cowl cover and then removed the lock. I had a locksmith cut a key with the code. A locksmith can also cut a key without a code but they would have to come to where the bike it and work on it for a while. I was quoted $80 for that.

As for what the locksmith said about three different keys, he's nuts.

Remove the back lock if you can, it is easier than the ignition. My key was made for that code and it works fine.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitw wings View Post
I would think you could take the top tripple off anf have better access to everything?
The bike is locked. The fork lock is in the ignition barrel. The barrel is bolted to the top bridge. Get it?

Doug

05 RC51 da' Black Beast
96 RCBVFR 750 Custom
02 VFR sold
98 VTR SuperBling sold
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Damn Asshat

take proof of ownership(title etc) and VIN# to a honda dealer, they will cut you new keys on the spot.

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 PM

^
But he stole the bike.

"...let us not ignore the truth among ourselves, that we are the aggressors and they defend themselves. The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down."
David Ben-Gurion (the father of Israel)
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in a flag and holding a cross." Sinclair Lewis
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post
^
But he stole the bike.

then super impose the guys face on your face
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Damn Asshat

if he stole the bike and is dumbphuck enough to follow my simple instructions, he deserves to get caught

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

|
|
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

na the bike isnt stolen and I got a locksmith coming to look at it and I'll mention to him that the pass. seat lock will work. I called the local honda shop and they said they need the ignition to get the numbers off of it. If that doesn't work then I'll just take the title and registration to another honda shop...Heard a couple people say that just the vin will work. Thanks again for your replies
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Member (Large)

You need a bigger hammer.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

still no key

I still dont have a damn key!!! Honda cant make a key with just the vin or title. Theres no key codes with the vin number. I called two different honda shops and one locksmith told me the same thing, so...I popped the pass. seat off and took the lock out of that. It has a code on it and another member RCPhil told me that would work. I took it so a locksmith he cut a key for me that unlocks the tail lock but no ignition or gas cap I dont know if he used the code on the lock or just cut it some other way...Im so pissed I can feel winter coming and I want to ride my damn bike Im just going to look online for a good locksmith and send him my tail lock, youd think that would work right???
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Member (Large)

Either just buy a new lock set (about $140 online), or just take the triple off and take it into the dealer and get them to make you a key. I think the locksmith you had might be an idiot, or the tumbler assembly on the ignition uses a tumbler that the other's don't (probably more likely)

You can get the triple clamp off. All you have to do is put the rear on a stand, put a jack under the oil pan (or hoist the bike from the rafters or something) and then pull the forks off, the remove the nut from the top triple clamp, then lower the lower triple down until the stem is below the top triple and pull it off. Take that to a honda dealer and get a new key (or two)

Or if you have a dremel, just get everything out of your way up front and just take the heads off the screws holding the ignition on.

Or just take the bike to a shop and have them find the code with all the crap still on the bike if you don't feel like doing any work. It might be a pain to get the bike into the back of a truck, but it's probably easier that all the other stuff I just said. Otherwise you are going to have to pay up and have a locksmith do it without removing anything.

I bet that you wont ever have just one key to a vehicle anymore? That was the first thing that I did when I got mine, had three new keys made.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 AM

Yeah, that trunk lock probably has less tumblers than the ignition.

Here's A way to get the key:

Take a miniture flat blade screwdriver and put a slight turning force on the lock cylinder while raking the tumblers with a lock pick shaped ground hacksaw blade. This will eventually get all the tumblers to hang up on the edge of the cylinder and the switch will turn towards the off position. Leave it half way between.

Then take the lock assembly out and take it apart in whichever way it's held together, usually there is a staked coller or a pin driven through the side of the assembly that holds the cylinder into the lock housing. Make sure you keep track of the lower tumblers, as far as to which hole they came out of. The upper tumblers and the tension springs are all the same.

Put a blank key into the cylinder and drop in the first tumbler. File that spot of the key blank until the tumbler is flush with the cylinder. Do this for all five tumblers (or however many there are) and wala, you have a key that fits all the locks. Its a one sided key but that's not a problem. You could always file both sides.

This way works, I've done it many times. And it only cost the price of a blank. Good luck.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Munky

I believe that Honda has 7 tumblers. The seat lock unit only has 2 of the seven.

Also see if you can get one of those dentist mirrors and take a sneak a peek a loo under the ignition barrel. The numbers are on the barrel but they face towards the steering head.

Hope this helps.

ian
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 AM

Have you tried removing the top triple clamp and ignition lock together?

There is no need to remove the ignition lock from the triple clamp - just take the whole thing to a Honda dealer and the can cut a new key from the number stamped on the barrel. You still need to bring the ignition lock so they can test the new key.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:57 AM

I work at a honda dealership and you have three choices.

1. Assuming that you are not able to pick your lock, unbolt the untire upper clamp from the forks and steering stem and firmly tap it upwards from below with a block of wood (this will allow it to come up even though the fork lock is engaged). Then take the whole assembly to the dealer where they can read the lock code from the cylinder and make you a new key. My store does it all the time. (we only charge for the key blanks when we have the code off the ignition lock cylinder). At my store this will run from $6 (for the plain jane Ilco blank) to $28 (for one of the fancy OEM honda blanks)
2. Buy an new ignition lock from honda, smash the old lock's tumblers with a big assed screw driver until you can force it open then replace it with the new one and then take the gas cap and seat lock into a dealer and get them to reset the tumblers to match the new ignition key's coding. This will run you $75 to a $100 bucks.
3. Just buy a complete lock set from the dealer and replace all of them. this will run you about $185.

I have done #1 twice on my VFR. Thieves left me with option three on the RC and I juggled the tumblers on a gas cap today for another customer.

Where are you?

JohnS
2001 VFR,
2002 RC51
Forging my body in the fires of my will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode