Lost Key...Ignition Question - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
I believe that Honda has 7 tumblers. The seat lock unit only has 2 of the seven.

Also see if you can get one of those dentist mirrors and take a sneak a peek a loo under the ignition barrel. The numbers are on the barrel but they face towards the steering head.

Hope this helps.

ian
Let me say once again from experience. I had the same problem. I loosened the tail section and was able to remove the cowl cover by popping the latch with a screwdriver once I had the tail section fasteners removed. After that, I removed the lock assembly and a locksmith used those numbers to make a key. It works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPhil View Post
Let me say once again from experience. I had the same problem. I loosened the tail section and was able to remove the cowl cover by popping the latch with a screwdriver once I had the tail section fasteners removed. After that, I removed the lock assembly and a locksmith used those numbers to make a key. It works fine.
I guess I should have made myself clearer, when I said bring the ignition lock.
There are two reasons for this.
1. It offers a little more in the way of proof of owner ship, than just the tail lock. Hell it took a mechanic about 5 seconds to pop the seat lock out of the tail section of my RC, when I bought it. But it took many minutes to extract the top triple clamp to replace the lock.
2. Knowing the key code is not always enough, I mean if someone changed the tumblers out before when messing with the lock, then the key code is no good either. Then even if the new key is perfectly cut to the code, it won't work.
If you take the lock with you, when they cut the new key you can try it right away.

JohnS
2001 VFR,
2002 RC51
Forging my body in the fires of my will
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

RCPHIL I did what you did and it didn't work

JES VFR, so the top triple will come off witht the steering locked? And I was quoted 250 for a lock set from honda...Have you worked on a RC's ignition? What are the two bolts that hold it in? Are they some special tool?

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post

JES VFR, so the top triple will come off witht the steering locked? And I was quoted 250 for a lock set from honda...Have you worked on a RC's ignition? What are the two bolts that hold it in? Are they some special tool?
First off did the lock that you took to the shop work with the new key. Because it sounded like you were not sure that the shop cut the key by the code, instead cutting it by the seat lock. That is why we insist on getting the Ignition lock at our dealership to confirm the correct cut of the key.

Second, Yes I had to replace my locks on my RC right from the get go since they were all buggered by the thieves. I'm guessing that it was not the first time the lock had been out of the bike since the two allen bolts holding it in were only coated with blue loctite.

JohnS
2001 VFR,
2002 RC51
Forging my body in the fires of my will
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Member (Large)

$138 for a lock set: Motorcycle Parts|ATV Parts|Honda|Kawasaki|Suzuki|Yamaha|Dealer|Tires|Re pair Manuals|Wholesale Discount Prices

Just take the triple off and take it to the dealer. If they still can't make you a key, then you already have it off and it will be easier for a locksmith to make a key for it of rekey it (along with all your other stuff)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Did they use the code on the lock to cut the key or did they use the lock itself? The locksmith I had do it used the code from the lock and it worked perfectly, of course as someone else stated, if someone changed the lock then it wouldn't work, on the other hand, if your ignition key opened the rear section, then chances are they never changed the lock so it should have worked.

I hope you get it solved. A locksmith can make the key without any code ans that was what I was prepared to have done. The locksmith came to my house and by the time he started I already had the rear lock out and he just used the code.

Good luck.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

F'in Finally!!

Got a key cut that works! I tried a new locksmith and took him the seat lock and told him to cut it by the code and it works...think the first guy used the wrong key blank.

So the seat lock code will work for the others. Thanks again for the replies
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 AM

I recently bought a new-to-me 2010 ram w/the 5.7 hemi. Recently it has been getting difficult to get the ignition to trigger the starter. The key turns easily and everything feels good, but sometimes I have to remove the key and reinsert it or turn it very hard to get it to start.Then i call Davie Locksmith and they resolve my problem within 15 minutes.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 AM

If you have your spare key you can have another made at a Locksmith. Otherwise, I believe you will need to replace the ignition. At least that is what my 2006 450 manual says.
Good luck.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 AM

Bring your title into harley dealer they can cut you a key or get you a key code that a Locksmith can use to make you your key. Remove ignition lock and take it to a locksmith and they will make you a key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode