trying spal fan - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

trying spal fan

someone brought up the idea of using a spal fan on the for better cooling over on rogue, but he hasn't posted back on if he did it or not. i went ahead and ordered one of the spal 5.2" pushers to give it a shot. once it comes in, i'll go out and record the data for a bit in stop and go traffic, then swap fans and go do it again.

have no idea if this is actually going to help or not, but the fan was under $50 so i won't be out much money if it turns out to be a waste.

they sell a 6.5" fan but the 5.2" has a higher cfm rating with resistance, at nearly 50% of the current draw of the 6.5" and i know the 5.2" will fit with no issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 PM

supposedly the vfr fans are reversed and push the air out and sovles the cooling issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

anyone have the cfm rating of those?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
b76

I did some research and it is the superhawk fan that pushes and fits the rc's motor. Just ordered mine I hope it's right. I tried taking off one fan and now it runs hotter in town and 5 or 10 less on highway but in town is the problem so we will see with the new fan.

2002 rc51
2007 yz 450 dirt and desert racer
2005 sv650
2002 ttr125le
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b76 View Post
I did some research and it is the superhawk fan that pushes and fits the rc's motor. Just ordered mine I hope it's right. I tried taking off one fan and now it runs hotter in town and 5 or 10 less on highway but in town is the problem so we will see with the new fan.
i did the same. after remove the right fan it cools off quick on the highway, but in stop and go with the left reversed/right gone it gets hotter than a whore's koochie on pay weekend near an army base
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfinfliction View Post
i did the same. after remove the right fan it cools off quick on the highway, but in stop and go with the left reversed/right gone it gets hotter than a whore's koochie on pay weekend near an army base
I have the same set up with thorsten's scoop's and a switch to turn the fan on I found as soon as I stop turn the fan on it take's longer to heat up but with the scoop's cool's down very fast.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM

im starting to think honda designed the fans the way they were for two reasons

1; to keep the heat off the rider when riding(heat goes through the rear of the bike.

2; with the fans reversed and blowing out from the sides of the fan perhaps the drag coefficient goes up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerock View Post
supposedly the vfr fans are reversed and push the air out and sovles the cooling issues
Mine are on backorder but I'll post results when they arrive

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Try a couple of computer fans sometime. They come in all sizes and do not cost too much.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementjunkie View Post
Try a couple of computer fans sometime. They come in all sizes and do not cost too much.
would be great except they're not waterproof, and you would have to get 3 x 90mm high rpm fans that cost about $20 each to even come close to producing the cfm a real fan does. most cheap computer fans are pushing 30-50cfm max and the more expensive ones are 75-100cfm.

the spal 5.2" does over 300cfm is waterproof and less than $50 shipped with the mounting tabs, so it's not an expensive option.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 PM
b76

backorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
Mine are on backorder but I'll post results when they arrive
mine too
oh well.
I live in Portland, OR the summer temps (up to 100 but usually 80s) will be over in a few weeks anyways.
My rc51 sp2 with 1 fan removed hits 235 in traffic at 85+ temp , I'm using engine ice with no change.
I'm starting to think they are going to run hot no matter what. My wifes 2005 sv 650 hits 225-230 in traffic also but cools much faster once moving.

2002 rc51
2007 yz 450 dirt and desert racer
2005 sv650
2002 ttr125le
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

fan arrived today, still waiting on the mounting tabs. i hooked it up to a battery then the oem fan up to the battery and this spal fan moves alot more air than the oem one. you can feel a huge difference in the two. it does wine just a bit louder, but i'm not too worried about that.

once the mounting things come in i'll run it through some stop and go either with video and the timer or just the timer. don't feel like buying a tank bracket for a cam on this bike. here's the comparison shots:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

82 degrees in the garage with the door open. my left fan has reversed polarity but does not have the fan blade reversed. let the bike heat up to 220 on idle, then left fan kicks on and it still keeps climbing to 226 and plug in the spal fan which is temporarily pushed in behind the right radiator, temp drops down to 220 degrees and hangs there. as soon as remove power from the spal fan temp begins to climb again. that's a text description of what happens in the video here:

(it's a few minutes boring, i wanted it to run continuous to show there was no edit)

Created by Camtasia Studio 5

this is the first time i've ever seen the bike actually go down while sitting in still air idling. with one of these spal's on there i'd say they'll be extremely slow to get hot, and with two on there, you won't ever have to worry about a cooling issue again. i'm going to try one for a while on the left, then maybe two if it idles at above 225 degrees.

not bad for a noob and a $50 fix

<forgot to add, it will probably cool better on the bike's power, i am powering the spal with an old 12v trickle charger>
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Dr. Carbon

well done!

I noticed some coolant in the bottom of your fairing...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20_RC51_00 View Post
well done!

I noticed some coolant in the bottom of your fairing...
yeah the hose needs to be replaced, the radiator is tweaked a bit as well, so this winter when i break everything down to get it straightened and coated in thermal dispersant, i'm going to replace all the hoses too.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

got it mounted on the left side a bit ago. it was dark outside but wanted to show how much air that fan moved. was about 5-6 feet away from the radiator and you can see the fan is blowing the papers around. it definitely moves some air

Created by Camtasia Studio 5
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM

how did you mount it?
how many amps is it pulling?

Where did you order the fan from?

I was waiting on the superhawk fan blades for my RC51, but if I really moves that much more air, I may just sell them off and install a few of these fans on both the RC and VFR.

As far as the noise from the fan, just reversing the fans or adding the VTR blades will make the fans noiser, so how cares if the spal is noisier than that?

JohnS
2001 VFR,
2002 RC51
Forging my body in the fires of my will
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfinfliction View Post
yeah the hose needs to be replaced, the radiator is tweaked a bit as well, so this winter when i break everything down to get it straightened and coated in thermal dispersant, i'm going to replace all the hoses too.
Wha?

Please elaborate...
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

jes - they come with nails, rubber seals and metal clips that slide through your radiator and fasten to hold it in. nothing special, just the industry standard for mounting aftermarket fans. have 2x14" fans on my supra held on this way. the fan fits behind the left radiator with plenty of room to spare. it's a tight squeeze on the right side but will fit.

i got it from proairllc, $42 fan +$7 shipping. **make sure you buy a pusher, you cannot reverse the blade on the spal**he does not have any for sale right now on ebay ( i bought both of them) but i shot him an email and asked him for a contact to try and skip over ebay so he may drop a buck or 2 on the price. once he sends me that i'll post it for everyone.

you may be able to find a cheap fan mounting kit on ebay for a few bucks, i ordered directly from spal and you need 3 per fan, but shipping is rediculous at like $10 or $14 something like that for 6 little pieces.

specsheet: http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automat.../3013-3011.pdf

the current draw chart is attached

digby - Thermal Dispersant Coatings!

that's just a website i pulled up, procryo.com/ evan's performance out of atlanta does all of my engine work and i would recommend them, but they don't list tltd on their website.

basically it's a coating that improves the effeciency of any air cooled device, on the supra it cost $140 to get the fmic done, but i seen almost a 20 degree charge temp difference at 18 psi. worth every penny. i thought since it works so good on the intercooler, i'd give it a shot on the rc rads and oil cooler this winter
Attached Images

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:55 PM

cool, I'll have to get in touch with those sites.

Is that the same Evans as in Evan's cooling systems?

I still wonder what is the max amp draw from a completely stalled rotor (i.e. a dead stop). Even if it is 12-15 amps thats still less than the factory fan pulls.

Judging from your pictures of the fans. The factory mounting brackets could be recycled to support the spal fans.

In fact that fan might even be small enough to fit a second fan in the right rad on my VFR

JohnS
2001 VFR,
2002 RC51
Forging my body in the fires of my will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode