Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch HELP!!! - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch HELP!!!

Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch
New OEM clutch discs
New OEM clutch springs
New Hyperplates plates

I got around to getting a Yoyodyne slipper clutch coupled with Hyperplates installed with seemingly no glitches except one. It slips baaaaaaad under power. Unrideable bad. The Hyperplates included one marked (use as spacer if needed). The honda specs for 7 clutch discs and 6 plates. Where in the order would this "spacer" plate go? (Pardon the stupid question.)

Or perhaps the problem lies in something else?

Any input info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 AM

{Edit} double post fumble, my answer is below.

Thanks Mav.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 AM

Not a stupid question,

I have a Yoyo slipper on my GSXR 750. The thing works like a champ and it's one of the best mods ever for a track bike. It does wear though, and I need to service it about every two or three race weekends it seems.

There were instructions that came with mine, I don't know where they are anymore though.
It said to; assemble the inner clutch basket and the pressure plate, (Without all the fibers and steels) install the springs and screws and tighten it all down so it's one assembly. Measure the thickness with a caliper and write it down.
Take it apart, and install your fiber and steel clutch plates. Put the assembly back together, tighten it down, and measure the thickness of the assembly again.
Yoyo wants the assembly to be 1 to 1.5 mm thicker then when empty.
I mix and match different thicknesses of used and new steel plates to get the 1.5mm of growth out of the clutch pack. When I first set it up it works flawlessly and is buttery smooth on downshifts and does not slip on race starts. As it wears, it starts to slip on race starts, and it will slip under acceleration at peak torque in most gears. Thats how I know it's time to pull the clutch and fatten the stack again.

Once you get the assembly the proper thickness, take it back apart, and install it in the bike (NOTE: it would be REALLY smart to group all the fibers and plates together and measure the thickness of this proper stack before you install the clutch in the bike. Write it down! it will make life so much easier if you know the proper thickness of the stack. You will not want to pull the whole clutch apart every time you need to fatten the stack again.)

If you need to add the extra steel to get the desired thickness, add it in the middle of the stack somewhere. Two steels can be next to each other and it won't cause problems (if you put two fibers next to each other, they will tear each other up). Make sure the last fiber plate goes in the shallow slots of the inner basket.

I would e-mail Yoyo, they can probably send you instructions for installation. The recomended thickness could be different, or you may have forgotten to transfer the spacer that gets stuck to the back of the inner clutch basket. If you did that though, there would be quite a few more threads showing after you torqued the big nut down (you could check the back of the stock clutch basket you removed, there may be a spacer stuck to it). :twocents

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Hoov. Thanks for the the detailed info. I suspected that it had something to do with the thickness of the stack as you specified so I took all the steel plates and measured them as a group compared to the hyperplate versions. For troubleshoot sake I installed the OEM steel plates and it worked like a champ. Pulling strong through the gears as usual.

For some reason it didn't make sense to have a steel plate last on the stack. So next I will try your approach back with the hyperplates but this time stacking them with a steel with steel option somewhere in the order. I will measure some numbers for future reference as you mentioned.

And again, thanks for the detailed info. I'll post my findings later.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 AM

Glad to help.
If you have any more questions about it, just throw them on this thread.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:35 PM

I've got the Hyperplates with the Yoyo slipper and it works great. I think if you contact Fred at Yoyodyne, he'll get you the info. I know that there is a link out there somewhere that explains what to do also.

'07 SV650, '04 FZ1, '02 RC51, '97 XR400, '85 XR4Ti
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Out of curiousity, why does the outermost fibre plate need to have it's tabs in the shallow slots of the outer basket?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Where can you get different thickness steel plates to shim the clutch stack properly?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Still looking for answers to my last 2 questions...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:55 PM

You can order oem plates that are thicker than one, most oem manufactures makes 3 different size steel plate that can help with that gap, if you check out the microfiche via ronayers.com you will see that one plate has 3 options, usually i pick the one in the middle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode