Engine Rebuild 101 - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Full Spectrum

This is kind of a weird area of discussion. Lots of people have been fine with removing the lash gears from the cams.
Many other people have seen all manner of issues with broken cams, and so forth.
FWIW, the HRC bikes did not remove the lash gears in the cams, but did everywhere else, generally.

My thoughts are that the high pitch frequency generated can cause he cast cams to break. Just my theory, nothing more. All engines are very sensitive to harmonics, and this is no exception.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 PM

Ill chime in on this issue saying that ive taken out the lash gears from the cams only and i havent had an issue yet. Its been a year now with them removed and have done 7 track days and alot of spirited riding with no problem, and ive riden her hard. My concern when doing this mod was that reliability as ive heard good and bad things for this mod. So i ended up replacing all the bolts that i took out with all the gaskets as well. The reason why i replaced all the bolts is that with time bolts happend to strech IMO. I used molylube (assembly lube) as i put things back together and tourqued everything back to spec as per what the manual said.
post #23 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to jazz Send a message via MSN to jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz11 View Post
Yes, we are going to be running the standard cams and removing the Q gears. We've had a discussion about this and we aren't sure how we are going to proceed.

You seem to be the only one that we know of who's had an issue with removing the Q gears. I removed them from my old engine and it did over 50 dyno runs without incident. That enfgine did pop down at Barber but it dropped a valve and the cams still looked great.

I'm afraid that if we weld the holes shut that we might cause a different issue with the oiling system.
When I took the Q gears off the cams, the oil way was actually covered by it, so it would slow or prevent the flow of oil through there. Try it when you have taken them off, you will see what I maen. What happened with mine (which is pure speculation but what we have narrowed it down too) is the Qgear was removed and the oil then found its fastest way out of the cam (which happened to be this hole) then dried up the cam lobe (where it bolts to the head) and this then seized, while the engine was running, this then spun the cam gear on the cam (as they are only pressed on and not on a key way/spline) and hence knocked the timing out some, resulting in bent valves.

Like I said, this is only speculation but looking at the cam lobe it was really really hot and starved of oil.

I guess the only way to find out is to put the cam back into the engine and time it up, then the little marks would be out... But **** that..

Cheers

Jazz
VTR 1000 SP1 #31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

life should be measured not by the amount of breathes you take but by the amount of times you breath is
taken away.........

You begin your riding career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.....

post #24 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Exhausted and Abused

Looks like you're investing in keeping it for a while, eh, Chuck?

"Super" Dave Rosno

racin' against cancer...

post #25 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

HRC case mods

OK, here are some pics of before and after. This is the side of the lower case.
Attached Images

'07 SV650, '04 FZ1, '02 RC51, '97 XR400, '85 XR4Ti
post #26 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

More of the HRC case mods.

Pics before and after of the bottom of case.
Attached Images

post #27 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 AM

Hey GPZ now the increase of these holes are for what exacly? What does the HRC manual say this will do? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but im really interested in all these engine mods so keep the explanations and pics coming please . And thanks for starting a thread like this as ill be needing something like this within the next month.
post #28 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mondial429 Send a message via Skype™ to Mondial429
Here you go everyone.
I hope this works.
http://hrc_spw.webgate.net.au/hrcpdf...rts%20List.pdf

I've sent afew emails to those that contacted me via pm's with this exact location.
As all of the picturs are black and white, they didn't transfer all that well in my opinion. My apologies.
Now, this download is only up for this week, as it is costing me to have it setup.
If anyone misses out, unfortunately, there will be a small fee to pay for me to send it to them after the cut off.
I hope you all understand.

Cheers.

post #29 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

The manual doesn't say why to do the mods. I think that it would be for increased oil drainage back into the pan but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
Hey GPZ now the increase of these holes are for what exacly? What does the HRC manual say this will do? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but im really interested in all these engine mods so keep the explanations and pics coming please . And thanks for starting a thread like this as ill be needing something like this within the next month.

post #30 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 PM

Thank you soo much again Mondial, this is a great contribution to our forum. Thanks again
post #31 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mondial429 Send a message via Skype™ to Mondial429
Thumbs up

No problem.
Very happy to help out where i can.
Cheers.

post #32 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

OK, here's the latest. I just dropped off the trans at my buddy's shop. He's going to ship it to Fast by Gast to for the undercutting. We're going with the road race cut. He's used them for over 10 years and has been extremely happy with their work.

Fast By Gast - High Performance Motorcycle Parts

I'm also going to drop off the injectors at a local shop to get cleaned and given a once over.

He's also looked at the cylinders and we've decided that I'm going to send them out to Millennium Technologies to get cleaned up and re coated.

Millennium Technologies

I'll have to find out if they need pistons first before they can do the cylinders. If they do, I guess I better order them too.

BTW: I got my shock back from Traxxion also.

post #33 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I'll have to find out if they need pistons first before they can do the cylinders.
MT can get you pistons treat them & do your heads all in one swoop.
:twocents

Good luck is for novices, bad luck is for everyone. Rely on your skills.....You control em!
post #34 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 AM

What is undercutting? I looked at the FBG site, but there wasn't anything about it. I figure it helps with missed shifts and false neutrals, but what do they do to the transmission?
post #35 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pip View Post
What is undercutting? I looked at the FBG site, but there wasn't anything about it. I figure it helps with missed shifts and false neutrals, but what do they do to the transmission?

Hey J-P,

Look down at the bottom of this "Tech" page IF this link does work, ALL the Info. is talked about in the Topic of "Undercut Trans? " Also this topic is started by gpz11....

Read it,... it's good for you, OH yeah, it will all but eliminate missed shifts, unless you are super sloppy!...?
post #36 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

OK, here's some info if you ever get your injectors cleaned. Make sure you have a running engine you can put them back into soon.

I dropped them off at lunch and picked them up after work. Quick service, you gotta admit that.

So anyway, as I was leaving, the guy commented something about I know you won't be going for a ride soon but you can at least run your engine right?

"Um, no, my engine is spread all across my garage."

"Oh, well, try to keep the injectors in the sealed bag and indoors."

I guess the cleaning solvent could clog up the injector if it dries out. He did say that if they act up, just to bring them back and he'll re-clean them for free.

Another thing, they couldn't run the 51 injectors in their flow bench since they are so small. My buddy just did a set out of a gsxr1000 but I guess they are a different size. He still was able to clean them and replace the fuel filter in them. All for the grand total of $9 per injector.

I would have been nice to see the flow pattern and all but the important things was to get them cleaned.

post #37 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM

I was going to say, "why dont you just buy some new injectors?" but as i checked the ronayers website they are $100 each .

Would you say GPZ that cleaning them would almost as good as getting new ones?

Also after i downloaded the HRC manual (thanks again Mondial) i looked at that modification and i wanted to ask you if you can explain in detail how you did that mod? If you can?
post #38 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, some places even say to get new ones cleaned! Something about grit and such from making them. I just figured that the rest of the motor was apart, now is a good time to get the injectors cleaned. It was a race bike before I got it so I've got now idea how many miles are on them.

As for the HRC mod, all I did was get out my dremel and start cutting till it matched the pics in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
I was going to say, "why dont you just buy some new injectors?" but as i checked the ronayers website they are $100 each .

Would you say GPZ that cleaning them would almost as good as getting new ones?

Also after i downloaded the HRC manual (thanks again Mondial) i looked at that modification and i wanted to ask you if you can explain in detail how you did that mod? If you can?

post #39 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Exhausted and Abused

Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products could have exchanged your fuel injectors for clean, matched injectors. As it is now, you have clean injectors. Usually, it's not a huge problem, but strange HP readings, readings that just seem to be a couple, few HP off what it should be, can be related to injectors that are different in their actual flow characteristics from each other.

"Super" Dave Rosno

racin' against cancer...

post #40 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Morning Dave,

I did try to go to their site and check out their injector info but I never could get the page to come up.

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode