Track day and Peg feelers - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Track day and Peg feelers

I am doing my first track day this Monday.

Should I leave on or take off the foot peg feelers???

Will they drag? If taken off what will I scrape??

Thanks,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to EngineNoO9
take those things off. Should've been removed very first thing when you got the bike.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH-RC51 View Post

Thanks,

David
Take them off but make sure you have your suspension setup correctly before your track day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 AM
Damn Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH-RC51 View Post

Thanks,

David

first trackday you wont scrape anything

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC51fatboy View Post
+1
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to firstcherokeekid
Take Them Off!!!

If it has tits or tires, it's bound to be trouble!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Joeitall

1st track day ever, leave them on, & when you pit in, ck out if there scraped @ all

If there scraped, ask a control rider for next session to watch you (just be honest & say this is your 1st track day & you must have a bad body position since your scaping the peg scrapers), so he can tell you what your doing wrong in your body positions

The cause of scraping them is from 1. to low of pegs, but 2. Mostly TOOO much lean angle which in turns causes less tyre contact, the more you hang off & keep the bike upright, the bigger tyre patch on the ground, which = more traction = more control !

99.9% of the time the control riders will help you & give you some great points( he may even say remove them for the next sessions, but you don't need to).

Then next time, you can remove them, or better yet get some real Rear Sets

Make sure your suspensions sag is set correctly for you B-4 doing a track day or any taking it up a notch canyon riding.

Made the best rated track in the world for me (OK coincidentally built just as I moved here

Riding & racing for 39 years Street, MX, Desert, TT, sportbikes, Drag, Dual Sport, & SM.
currently racing SM & Sportbike racing @ MMP.
Bikes I own currently-too many to list.
currently racing my '05 RC51 & my '06 KTM 625smc, XR 650R SM, & pitster 125 SM.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily true.

On my first track day, I was feeling pretty good. Hanging off A LOT, draggin knees, and such. One of the CR's told me to follow him. He went through the slowest turn of the track a bit faster than I had been taking it, and low and behold my brake pedal touched down. I ground it down and bent it back just from the lean angle. I thought I was going to low side, and stood it up into the grass. I probably could have gotten my upper body off a bit more, and I worked on that a lot after that, but I was hanging off a lot, and still did this. So IMO, yes take them off, but don't necessarily think that just because it is your first track day you won't drag anything. You may end up doing just that as your form is not going to be ideal until you work it out some. Just take it slow, work on your lines and your body position.

2002 RC51 Elka Triple Clicker Rear Shock, Jardine RT-One Ti slip-ons (street), Jardine 2:1 CF (track), PCIII usb, Scotts Rotor Damper, Fastline SS Lines, HRC Hardbites, 15/42 Gearing, Flapper mod, Pair mod, Soft Rev, Bladerunner Mod, Speedohealer, Sato knock-off rear sets from Thailand SOLD
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Tough Crowd Racing #726

Quote:

I was dragging my pegs on my ZX-9R on my first trackday.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Year round hero!

Those peg feelers are there for a reason:- the stock cans and sidestand deck out!
If you have aftermarket cans that are thinner or high level, then yes, remove the peg feelers as they touch down very early. If you have standard pipes on your 51 then leave the feelers alone or you risk lifting the rear wheel off the floor as the can decks out and go into a lowside...
Get some aftermarket pipes then off with the feelers!! :twocents

The Hammer.

Women want him, Men want to be him.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Those peg feelers are there for a reason:- the stock cans and sidestand deck out!
If you have aftermarket cans that are thinner or high level, then yes, remove the peg feelers as they touch down very early. If you have standard pipes on your 51 then leave the feelers alone or you risk lifting the rear wheel off the floor as the can decks out and go into a lowside...
Get some aftermarket pipes then off with the feelers!! :twocents
Actually, I had my stock cans on when I drug the brake lever. The can never touched. Looking at pics, it did get close, but never did.

2002 RC51 Elka Triple Clicker Rear Shock, Jardine RT-One Ti slip-ons (street), Jardine 2:1 CF (track), PCIII usb, Scotts Rotor Damper, Fastline SS Lines, HRC Hardbites, 15/42 Gearing, Flapper mod, Pair mod, Soft Rev, Bladerunner Mod, Speedohealer, Sato knock-off rear sets from Thailand SOLD
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM

I don't understand why some people are recomending to leave them on.
That is total crap, get the damn things off of there. If you leave them on, you will return from a session and one or both will be gone. Now there is debris on the track waiting to damage a rider or bike.

Just take them off.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM

+1

And in the worst case, the feeler will rip the entire footpeg off the bike.
This happened to a friend of mine, he almost crashed his bike...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Your Moms Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbel View Post
+1

And in the worst case, the feeler will rip the entire footpeg off the bike.
This happened to a friend of mine, he almost crashed his bike...
I left mine on for my first track day because I wasn't thinking enough to take them off. Sure as shit they rubbed, then I took them off and scraped peg. Luckily they were the stock pegs so they just folded up or I might have been in worse shape.

Then, I realized I didn't need that much lean angle to get around corners and really started riding well.

Signed!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 PM

I'm getting ready to drill & tap my Sato pegs so I can re-install the stock feelers

WERA EX #41
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Ducatilicious

There are alot better things to worry about on your first trackday than your peg feelers. :twocents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode