Converting a Boat Trailer Into a Motorcycle Trailer - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > Manufacturers > Honda RC51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Converting a Boat Trailer Into a Motorcycle Trailer

I just picked up a Boat trailer in decent shape which I'm going to convert into a motorcycle trailer. I believe the axel is rated at 1500 lbs which should hold two bikes easily. I just need to unbolt all of the boat stuff and put some supports in the middle, lay down some 3/4" plywood, fix the lights, and replace the bearings. I have a welder that I can borrow but have never welded. The frame is in great shape with very little rust and is steel of course.

Anyone ever done this before? Funds are limited, the trailer was given to me for free. It's in good shape and I debated on selling it and buying a motorcycle trailer. I will post some pics up when I get a chance. Let me know what you guys think.

Memphis Static's Old RC: 2004 rc51 sato low mounts, pcIIIusb, 15/41,flapper valve, air filter, gp shifting, hot bodies undertail, flushmount blinkers, matching tank guard....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Meatball's Dad

I am sure that it can be done without much fuss, but a pic of the boat trailer as it is could be helpful
Ken

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
www.OATHKEEPERS.ORG
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Silver and Black Attack!

I doubt you will find many people that have done this already because your situation is unique. You got a free boat trailer, and have access to a welder. Two things I know I don't have. Sounds like a fun project though. Is the trailer worth anything in its present condition? May be worth looking into selling it and using the money for a proper moto trailer. If you do go ahead with this project, don't spend more than you would on a decent moto trailer, and make sure you weld it correctly! Last thing you want to see is your baby tumbling down the street behind you.

2003 RC51 street bike
1993 VFR750F commuter bike
2003 CRF50 pit bike
1996/98 Honda RS250R race bike
Old 04-24-2007, 03:12 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKers View Post
I just picked up a Boat trailer in decent shape which I'm going to convert into a motorcycle trailer. I believe the axel is rated at 1500 lbs which should hold two bikes easily. I just need to unbolt all of the boat stuff and put some supports in the middle, lay down some 3/4" plywood, fix the lights, and replace the bearings. I have a welder that I can borrow but have never welded.
You might want to make sure the boat trailer isn't galvanized steel, as most of them are, unless they're old. Welding galvenized steel gives off a toxic gas.

With some angle iron and creativity, that'll make a fine trailer. A boat trailer is generally longer then most trailers due to the boat's bow, which allows you to mount a pick-up truck tool box upfront on the tongue, as well as your spare tire.

A place near me, (Ringo Hill Farms) sells trailers for motorcycles that are small, converted boat trailers, for $450 or so. Good for local driving, but I'd heisitate to do much highway hauling with that weight and tiny, 10" tires.

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the input guys. We dove into the project today, cut the tounge shorter, and took off all the rollers and other unneeded stuff. I checked the wheel bearings (DY TYSON L4463) and they seem to be in decent condition. Here are some pics.

48 inches wide and 10 feet long + 39 inch tounge

We are going to have to widen it another 8 inches on each side to get carry two motorcycles comfortably.

I am going to the scrap yard on thursday to see if I can find some 2"x3" C channel, and some angle iron. I need aboout 24 feet of it for support in the middle. We measured my buddies R1 since we are at his house and came up with 80" from the tire to tire on the far outside. This is perfect length to have the motor sit almost directly over the axel on the trailer. The back tire will just have to sit up against the tailgate of the trailer. We are still unsure weather we should use 3/4" plywood or some sort of metal for the flooring. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible but at the same time still serve it's purpose.

Memphis Static's Old RC: 2004 rc51 sato low mounts, pcIIIusb, 15/41,flapper valve, air filter, gp shifting, hot bodies undertail, flushmount blinkers, matching tank guard....
Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 PM

plywood will not hold up long.......i would price the difference in a piece of metal decking ( diamond plate ) or 2 x 6 pressure treated planks. could use 2 x 10's as well. just do some shopping around. also if you use wood, it will be easier to mount wheel chocks and tie down anchors to as well..just some food for thought.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM

You could forgo the deck and make two or three channels for the wheels to sit in, like this; Trailer In A Bag - Motorcycle Trailers - ATV Trailers

5/4 PT would make the deck lighter than 2x6 if you go that way.

Make sure you end up with around a 60/40 front weight bias or it could wag its tail.

This project makes more sense than the horse trailer I was thinking about converting!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 AM
'Leo'

Send a message via AIM to loridin64 Send a message via Yahoo to loridin64

a couple of my buddies did this once. They just put two sections of metal, bent up on the sides at like 75 degree angles, then just made them level with some angle iron. So when you look down the length it looks like a V with a flat bottom. Welded on some eye hooks for tie straps. Toolbox in the front like Rigor mentioned, and the spares.
Wasnt the prettiest looking thing, but got the job done and was sturdy as hell.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Default What Welder ???

Sorry I missed your thread, as I mentioned during our phone coversation the nutt has a ton of paid time off and would enjoy building a first class rig for pennies.

I see steel and my lincoln / stick days cannot touch the esab wirefeed end product,however once you see the '70's show hauler you will cough up the 50 bucks fast !!

I can bring steel,just get a bar napkin concept drawing and I am all about making it work.
Attached Images

I should REALLY wear a condum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement