Speedzilla Forums banner

748 model year differences?

5K views 11 replies 1 participant last post by  xifias 
G
#1 ·
I have done a search and maybe it was not thorough enough, but here goes my first ducati question.

Where's a good source of info on the differences in model years with the 748? First year - last year and changes between them if any at all?

Thanks!!!!

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Re: 748 model year differences? (superbike2001)

The most notable differences are going to be aesthetic, i.e. differences in frame color, wheel color, wheel supplier, graphics. Really pretty minimal differences between the 748 lot. Someone who knows more about the rocker issue might be able to chime in here and tell you which years to avoid as ducati had some lackluster chrome contractors on a few of the years (either '97-'98 or '97-'99 IIRC). Two different front brake caliper spacings through the years, as on the 9XX's. 2002 had a different midpipe setup as well.

I can name off the aesthetic differences like I was talking about above but I doubt that's really what you're looking for when it comes to real differences, which there aren't many of.

G
#4 ·
Re: 748 model year differences? (ten~39)

Also suspension differences earlier models were fully adjustable with showas some later came with sachs rear and nonadjustable steering ecentric.

G
#5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ten~39 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The most notable differences are going to be aesthetic, i.e. differences in frame color, wheel color, wheel supplier, graphics. Really pretty minimal differences between the 748 lot. Someone who knows more about the rocker issue might be able to chime in here and tell you which years to avoid as ducati had some lackluster chrome contractors on a few of the years (either '97-'98 or '97-'99 IIRC). Two different front brake caliper spacings through the years, as on the 9XX's. 2002 had a different midpipe setup as well.

I can name off the aesthetic differences like I was talking about above but I doubt that's really what you're looking for when it comes to real differences, which there aren't many of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea not so much worried about the aesthetics of the bike more so what I can put in what frame. If I have an 02 frame will a 99 motor fit? Things of that nature. Can I put 5 spoke wheels on a bike that had origanly had 3 spoke wheels. I'm going to start a 748 build. This is why I ask

Thanks all for your time!!!
All good info is wanted... I started by getting a haynes manual... Covers Ducati 748 Biposto 1995-1999; 748 & 748S 2000-2001; 748SP & SPS 1995-1999; 916 Strada & Biposto 1994-1999; 916 Senna 1995; 916 SP, SPS & Foggy Replica 1994-1998; 996 Biposto 1999-2001; 996 SPS 1999-2000; and 996S 2001) I take it that If I get parts newer than an 01 this manual would still apply?

G
#8 ·
Re: 748 model year differences? (brettmess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also suspension differences earlier models were fully adjustable with showas some later came with sachs rear and nonadjustable steering ecentric.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the adj./non-adj steering eccentric was an S/non-S issue?

superbike: Sounds like the stuff you're planning is really a non-issue when it comes to compatability with different years. The 748's are pretty generic when it comes to large issues like you're refering to.

G
#9 ·
Re: 748 model year differences? (brettmess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The motor will fit and yes you can put the 5 spokes on
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you go one step deeper into the Ducati.com web site you'll find the "Spare Parts Catalogues" that go back to 2000. I think they help answer a lot of questions.
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/se...2005p</TD></TR></TABLE>

GREAT info there!!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ten~39 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought the adj./non-adj steering eccentric was an S/non-S issue?

superbike: Sounds like the stuff you're planning is really a non-issue when it comes to compatability with different years. The 748's are pretty generic when it comes to large issues like you're refering to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I wanted to hear. Wish me luck.
Anyone recommend a parts source ? I have so far seen two that look good, but your all's thoughts would also be welcome (On these or other parts sources)
http://www.woundedduc.com/
http://stores.ebay.com/Dans-Du...QtZkm

G
#10 ·
Re: 748 model year differences? (superbike2001)

Superbike, I'd say the biggest issue to watch if you're putting together a 748 from purchased parts is the front caliper spacing issue. My $.02. There's two different specs there so just make sure you get the same spec calipers and forks.

G
#11 ·

The 'older' earlier the better generally.
The older bikes have had most of the issues sort out & the motors are usually well run in.
The non-adjustable steering headstem was started in production for the 2000 series of bikes. Tho some real late '99 models have it as well.
Once you get into the mid - late '99 series onto 2001, you're likely to run into flaking rockers as an issue. The last run of 748's in 2002 (when production stopped) went back to the good high strength chrome rockers.

It doesn't really matter though. As most 748's that get to about the 10 year old mark endup undergoing a metamorphysis into 853's & 872's ...

#12 ·
which haynes book did you ordered
i am trying to order a haynes manual
they cover from 1991up to 2001 748 916 996 bikes
every time i check the compatibility for the 2000 ducati 748 it tells me the book it does not cover my bike
please let me know
my email is
xifias@ rogers.com
thank you very much from toronto Canada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.