Corbin Saddle? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Corbin Saddle?

Anyone running the Corbin saddle? Considering the one with the backrest for rides with the lady.

http://www.corbin.com/ducati/99_900750gnl.shtml

Info on comfort, fit, etc. appreciated.

I had a Corbin on my Monster for a day and really liked the fit, look, comfort but it was a little shallow and put me closer to the pegs. Made the riding position a bit cramped. Literally caused my hips to cramp after about 20 minutes I was so crunched. Any info on similar experiences also appreciated.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Vernon Wormer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to BLZ2DWL
I've got the gunfighter. It looks like they are made of smooth leather now, though mine is a carbon fiber looking leather, very trick. I like it alot. Much narrower and thinner than stock, but the shape is better. I am closer to the ground, and there is no sharp edge on my inner thigh. I took a rolling pin and broke the edges in so that they were softer. After almost 20k miles, the shape is the same and the leather shows no wear! Seriously, I could shine it up and sell it as new. I highly reccomend it.

Brennan
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 AM

My std Superlight seat is breaking my A$$. The Supersport seats are lurvley, but this thing is a different animal. Is the Corbil SL seat any good? Any recomendations?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Brennan,

Thanks for the info. I enjoyed my 1st Corbin as well. Other then being 76lbs heavier then stock they make a quality piece of gear.

Sounds like the SS seat is also more shallow then the stocker. I'll have to give it some consideration.

My other issue, not mentioned in my first post, is my constant contact with the tank in my "privates"! The seat just puts you right on the tank. I'd love to add just a toung of rear ride hieght but. . . There's only so long I can squeeze that tank with my thighs. I believe the Corbin seats assist in this area as well.

Maybe this will have to go on the "birthday" list.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 PM

I have a SS Corbin and it looks good and I had it reupholstered in black vinyl. My nuts however, don't like it. I am thinking of getting a Sargent.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Does the seat in the link "1999-2000" the same as all "new" generation SS seats?

I'm sure Corbin has a solution for my application but though I'd ask.

Now, if I buy the Lady seat, I'm gonna need a color matched cowl to cover that ugly half up when solo. Which is about 99.9% of the time.

Anybody have such a cowl?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:42 PM

consider Sargent Seat

Hiya,

Sargent makes a nice seat that is way more comfy than the stock SS "plank".
I was uncomfortable on my stock seat in about an hour, Sargent is good all day...
Paid about $300, it was worth it in comfort.

I got the Grip-Tex material w/yellow tail section for the quasi (poser) monoposto look.

Adamo
'05 800SS. Sargent seat, CycleCat bars & Sliders
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 06:36 AM

I upgraded my stock seat to a Sargent last year, huge improvement over stock. The tail section is red to match my bike for the 'solo' look also... no cover needed.

I just got back today from a 4-day, 1500+ mile trip where I was on the bike at least 6-8 hours a day... can definitely vouch for the Sargent. No issues with comfort whatsoever.

Also, any of the seats made for a 1999-2000 SS will fit the current models as well.

Jesse
1999 900ss ff (the faster red color
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
My nuts however, don't like it. I am thinking of getting a Sargent.
X2!!

Also, I didn't like the way the backrest hole was done, and you can't get the corbin seat without it. I did get a sargent, and love it.

Mark Smith
2000 900ie SuperSport
1998 VTR1000 SuperHawk
2005 SV650S She Rides!!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 AM
60K club

I've had a Sargeant about four years and can vouch for the comfort and quality. Did a 13 hour day returning from Laguna and the seat wasn't the problem at the end of the day!!

1999 900 Supersport
We bought 'em to ride 'em, right?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 01:01 AM

I also put a Sargent seat on my 99 SS.Made all the differance in the world over the stock seat.Not too sure about the Corbin though,had one on my 05 V-Max and had to return it twice for quality issues.The didn't want to refund my money after the second time,just wanted to send me another one.My dealer took care of me,so now I'm going to sent the stock seat to Sergent for reforming.Don't know about the Corbin for the Ducati, but the one for the V-Max was about 4 times as heavy as the stocker too.

Terry
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill
Corbin is great!

I have had the Corbin seat on my '99 SS for the last 38,000 miles and only put the stock seat back on one time for a track weekend. I sold the stock seat and regret that - subsequent track days have taught me that the Corbin is awful for more focused performance riding.
Great for everyday/weekend riding though.
After 38K, still looks new - and really comfortable. Much much firmer than stock but shaped perfectly.

Cheers, Bill (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the input fellas. I'm not personally disappointed with the stock seat. When riding aggressively in the canyon or at the track I'm not really in the seat anyway. I'm fortunate to live only a half hour from some great canyons and don't fancy myself a sport touring type so the stock seat is okay. I use my bike to commute to work but again only about a 15 minute ride.

Really looking at the Corbin for it's backrest option in hopes of getting my wife to go for a ride once in a while. Probably not worth $600 for the set as she'll probably go once or twice and never again. I'll rent a Harley or Victory six times for that $$ and she'll be comfy on the back of a big hog. Oh, I'm sure she'll like the bike as well.

Sounds like the Sargent is probably a better seat for the application w/o the backreat option if I decide to go that rout. I had a Corbin on my Monster and it weighed about three times the stocker. And I lost my "storage" compartment.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM

I bought a Sargent off ebay and couldn't be happier.

ITs comfy, looks great and has built in storage.
I think its the only one that works with a stock rear seat cowl as well.
YMMV.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 PM

pictures of sargent seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylobrd
Hiya,

Sargent makes a nice seat that is way more comfy than the stock SS "plank".
I was uncomfortable on my stock seat in about an hour, Sargent is good all day...
Paid about $300, it was worth it in comfort.

I got the Grip-Tex material w/yellow tail section for the quasi (poser) monoposto look.

Adamo
'05 800SS. Sargent seat, CycleCat bars & Sliders
Do you or anyone have any pictures of this sargent seat? From the feedback it appears that it is the one to get. Thanks,
Chris
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 PM

This is a sargent seat..

here is a pic of my 900SS, with a sargent seat installed..

Mark Smith
2000 900ie SuperSport
1998 VTR1000 SuperHawk
2005 SV650S She Rides!!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by maypo59
here is a pic of my 900SS, with a sargent seat installed..
Thanks Mark for the nice picture, it looks like a real nice seat. I have only had my bike for two weeks now and 600 miles. This is not enough time to really know the comfort of the stock seat. From what I have heard the Sargent seat seems to be prefered. Is the seat higher or lower than stock?

I had a dual canyon Corbin that came on my 88 BMW R100RS, but I put the original seat back on. My wife likes the comfort of the original better for her. I like the Corbin for me, but the BMW is what she likes to ride for comfort.

She rode on the back of my new Ducati less than 8 miles before I had to take her home to get the BMW. She said she felt like she was falling off. Maybe this is her way of telling me she didn't like that I bought it while she was away on vacation.

Lets see, she goes once a year with the kids and her sisters. Does that mean another bike each year? Maybe she will not leave me at home next time. I like the new bike every year idea! Time may heal her wounds and she may appreciate it in time. Oh well, I got the Ducati for me! Thanks again.

Chris

06 Ducati 800SS
88 BMW R100RS
65 BMW R50/2 w58 Velorex SC

Last edited by 06 supersport 800; 08-30-2006 at 05:01 AM. Reason: forgot to ask about ride height
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 AM

I'm interested to hear how much shorter each of the aftermarket seats are as well that'll fit my 06 800 SS. I rode a TDM 850 for years that was quite a bit taller and did the one foot thing all the time but I'm old now and even though I can touch well enough to be pretty comfortable with both feet on this bike, more would be better though.

Mike B.
06 800 SS
08 HM 1100S
89 KLR 650
87 Paso 750
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese dirt bikes

Ect.....

Last edited by 06800SS; 08-30-2006 at 09:55 AM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 AM

I will have to switch seats and measure to back this up, but it seems about the same hight or maybe a hair lower, but is a little wider and lacks the forward slope that shoved me into the tank.

Mark Smith
2000 900ie SuperSport
1998 VTR1000 SuperHawk
2005 SV650S She Rides!!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Membah

Sargent in yeller if anyone cares to see it. I will also say that it weighs about the same as stock and is waaay more comfy and that the color match was pretty damn good. After parking next to a yellow 998bi, sargent color match was better than the stock Ducati....well, at least that one as I know the colors can vary a bit. That said, also echo the track day comments above. Stock seat is harder and slicker which makes it much easier to move around on.

Kennedy
'01 ss900f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode