Recommendations for kid's first dirt bike? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

Recommendations for kid's first dirt bike?

Daughter, will be 8 this March. She is small for her age, about 4' tall and 45 pounds.

Can ride a bicycle very well. Looking for a used bike <$750.

I am thinking something like a KTM 50, but so many different models over the years it is tough to decide. Definitely a Junior model versus Senior.

Maybe a 2002-08 SX50 Junior? The centrifigual clutch would be a plus too. Cheap to rebuild as well. Going a bit older they made air-cooled two-strokes that would be worth considering as well.

Or would four-stroke be better?

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Member (Large)

I'm going to be in the same boat as you soon, as my daughter just turned three. I think for your stated price range, a Honda z50/xr50/crf50, whatever you want to call it will be your best bet.

From what I've seen, they are the most popular small bike. The popularity also translates into cheaper and easier to find parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
I'm going to be in the same boat as you soon, as my daughter just turned three. I think for your stated price range, a Honda z50/xr50/crf50, whatever you want to call it will be your best bet.

From what I've seen, they are the most popular small bike. The popularity also translates into cheaper and easier to find parts.
I think I can get pink plastic for it as well, something that is important...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
I think I can get pink plastic for it as well, something that is important...
Yep, they have the pink plastic kits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Silverback

I'd go with the CR50 all day. You can beat the sh!t out of them and hardly maintain them and they'll run. Take care of them and it'll be forever. Plus you could get one and put big boy bars on it and ride right next to her!

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Bike

Bought my son a Suzuki JR-50. Worked well enough but do not buy the training wheels. Ride height is extremely critical. I saw some kids who were newbies on something to tall and got scared quick.

Throttle response is critical also. They need something soft and unresponsive to start with.

Sold his after a dozen rides. Did not want to ride it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Señor Member

The KTM 50s (and the Cobra 50s that they compete against) are race machines for kids who are going to compete at MX.

I would highly recommend that you steer clear of them until your kid actually complains to you that a CRF 50/TT-R 50 is too slow. If you put a kid on a KTM 50 or a Cobra 50 who has never rode before, you are just a jerk.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

The air-cooled junior versions (I think husqvarna made one similar) are much less race-oriented than the senior KTM models

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM

don't waste your money on the air cooled version they really are gutless, if you want to go for a 50 buy a water cooled one and fit the air cooled clutch, it has different springs and take up is much more linear. The water cooled bikes use an auto clutch with cupped washers and can be quite vicious where as the air cooled bike has coil springs.
Another option worth considering is to get her straight onto a 65 either up to 08 or 09 on the difference really is in the PV which gives the later bike a touch more midrange although this is offset by a much lighter throttle so can be quite intimidating for a new rider where as the bike up to 08 although having a narrower power band has a slightly heavier throttle action and combined to altered gearing will help build confidence. All my sons started on either Husky 50 or KTM 50 then quickly moved to the KTM 65 by 7 bar one who wanted a Kawasaki to learn on, the pre 09 KTM is a good bike to learn on albeit with different gearing I recommend 46-47 tooth rear sprocket to take the edge off the acceleration. that a few $ spent on springs will go along way
This is a video of my youngest 9 at the time just after a big crash on the first TT (jumped too big and crossed the bike up on landing) and his older brother 10 who had his first ride on an RM85 and infact his first ride in 2 years. The KTM is running 47 tooth rear sprocket. BTW he's wearing the white A* body armour and bro is in Fox Acid kit on Yellow RM

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Jenias Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekybloke View Post
don't waste your money on the air cooled version they really are gutless, if you want to go for a 50 buy a water cooled one and fit the air cooled clutch, it has different springs and take up is much more linear. The water cooled bikes use an auto clutch with cupped washers and can be quite vicious where as the air cooled bike has coil springs.
Another option worth considering is to get her straight onto a 65 either up to 08 or 09 on the difference really is in the PV which gives the later bike a touch more midrange although this is offset by a much lighter throttle so can be quite intimidating for a new rider where as the bike up to 08 although having a narrower power band has a slightly heavier throttle action and combined to altered gearing will help build confidence. All my sons started on either Husky 50 or KTM 50 then quickly moved to the KTM 65 by 7 bar one who wanted a Kawasaki to learn on, the pre 09 KTM is a good bike to learn on albeit with different gearing I recommend 46-47 tooth rear sprocket to take the edge off the acceleration. that a few $ spent on springs will go along way
This is a video of my youngest 9 at the time just after a big crash on the first TT (jumped too big and crossed the bike up on landing) and his older brother 10 who had his first ride on an RM85 and infact his first ride in 2 years. The KTM is running 47 tooth rear sprocket. BTW he's wearing the white A* body armour and bro is in Fox Acid kit on Yellow RM

The boys at Churchills MX - YouTube
I couldnt disagree more for a first bike. I have yet to meet one kid that is going out on a full on MX bike like a KTM50 or a KX65 jumping on their first time.

Get a nice CRF50 and build up confidence. Once youre done with that bike you can resell it for close to what you spent on it and then move up to the real deal MX bikes. The last thing you want to do when teaching someone how to ride is to scare them their first time out.

James
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by union View Post
I couldnt disagree more for a first bike. I have yet to meet one kid that is going out on a full on MX bike like a KTM50 or a KX65 jumping on their first time.

Get a nice CRF50 and build up confidence. Once youre done with that bike you can resell it for close to what you spent on it and then move up to the real deal MX bikes. The last thing you want to do when teaching someone how to ride is to scare them their first time out.
I see what you are saying but disagree the CRF50 is heavy and really doesn't do much for confidence on anything the has ruts and bumps. My youngest was jumping his KTM 50 adventure within 2 months of owning it and found it way too slow and gutless just because a kid starts on a water cooled 50/65 doesn't mean they have to jump it from the start. yea buying a play bike will be good for a little while but you'll soon find yourself needing to upgrade. The KTM, RM, KX aren't that hard to learn on and can grow with the child. I've seen plenty of kids learn on "full on race bikes" as people like to cal them. Further more the 65 can also be fitted with atuo clutches. I had then on 3 of the 65 although if I had to do it again I'd skip fitting one as clutch control isn't that hard to learn. kid are a lot more capable than we give them credit for.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 AM

My son is turning 3 this summer and his sister is almost 6. I am shopping ttr-50s as they are a little bigger then the PW 50 and they have electric start so hopefully the kid will be able to start it Without help is he/she stalls.

I am going to make a track on the in laws property that will be totally appropriate for the little bikes and small kids. I think that is as important as the bike selection. I have been to motor cross tracks where they had a small fry track and I have been to them where the little kids were not big track. You don't want to scare a novice kid and wind up turning them off bikes because then you will wind up spending you're Saturdays taking them to soccer games instead of the track.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Garage
If you want something zippy, small-medium and pretty tame stock, I'd check into the KLX110/DRZ110. It doesn't have a hand clutch. If that's too big for you, I say CRF50 or XR50. Really can't go wrong with those.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 AM

I wound up getting a TTR50 with training wheels for my son paid $600. Looks clean, needs a battery but bump starts very easy even cold.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi guys my daughter is 2 years and i want to purchased he bike for her but i have no idea which bike the best for her..any body recommend me the name of the bike?

|
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 AM

I wound up also buying a PW50. That is going to be for my 2 year old son and the TTR50 is going to my 6 year old girl.
The PW is a lot smaller, which is good for my son.
We haven't had them out yet, it has been too wet and we are now getting the gear sorted.
Hopefully in a week or 2 we can go on our first family ride.
I got my wife a CRF150 and I picked up a XR250

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 30129
Size:  249.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode