'90s Husqvarna 610 (TC610, TE610)? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

'90s Husqvarna 610 (TC610, TE610)?

I was doing a bit of research on these bikes. Does anyone have links to tests online?

I have found out that these kick-only engines are pretty hot, with higher compression and a rudimentary oiling system.

Anyone know about reliability with these bad boys? There is one reasonabl close to me that might be a fun winter project.
1999 Husqvarna TE610

Thanks
Attached Images

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
...clink...!

4 stroke dirt bike is too much maintenance. Get an oil burner. My $.02...

nero
'06 999
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Panigaliscious

For the type of riding I would do (old and slow) it would probably last a long time. Always wanted one of these since Jacky Martens won the world championship with one (first four-stroke in a generation IIRC). Dual exhaust on a dirt bike is also totally badass.

Another one I was looking at was a mid-90's Husaberg FE501. Perhaps I am a masochist at heart. The KTM 400/520 is also appealing to me.

I agree the two-strokes are far cheaper to run. Other bikes under consideration are a two-stroke EXC KTM in the 250-380cc range. Seems like there are lots of them around very cheap to buy. For $500 you could have it running like new regardless of how you bought it. $500 in the four-stroke is just a start if things are worn out.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 AM

So no info but check out thumpers and old kool on advrider. I know I've read threads on these bikes there. That said, I've got a Husky and it is awesome.

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
Another one I was looking at was a mid-90's Husaberg FE501. Perhaps I am a masochist at heart.
You sir certainly are!

I owned a TC570, which basically is a 610. Chain on the right side, exhaust on the left, updated plastics in comparison to the 610.
The 610 motor has undergone a small change in (donīt nail me to it) ī99 when they got some sort of pseudo oil pump. Itīs a little Mikuni pump thatīs spewing bits of oil on the crankshaft and rod. Before that, the engines were said to be a bit fragile. But owners I have spoken to would deny such thing.

My point of view on the 610/570 is:
- it has BIG power. Way too much for close trail riding. You will find yourself in 2nd gear all the time because that thing goes fast fast.
- itīs a bit heavy, but then itīs a 4 stroke. When I owned the 570 I also had a ī90 CR 250. Both water cooled, but the CR as a two stroke was obviously lighter.
- I broke my engine twice, once was my fault (misuse of Loctite) and the other time a valve got bent due to a bad valve guide. Canīt help it when itīs ****ed, so I went and got it repaired. Couldnīt do the headwork myself, but it was relatively affordable. In terms of rebuilding a 4 stroke.
- Iīd only buy one again if I had nice trails and quite a bit of space to ride the thing. On the track and on tight trails itīs just too much. Maybe Iīd buy one again if I had more money for a supermoto conversion. I made mine a motard, but it didnīt ride really well. Needed new suspension or tuning of the existing components and maybe a different set of triple clamps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode